Egg dissection! What happened?

Mar 8, 2024
U.S.A
Hello!
Well yesterday was day 7 for the eggs. I candled them, and surprisingly only three out of 24 eggs were either yolkers or quitters.
I decided to dissect them to see what happened. But I'm still puzzled. Can you please tell me what probably happened? I already know what happened to the first two eggs. They were just yolkers. But that last one #4, had a blood ring in it.

20240522_203803.jpg
20240522_203756.jpg
When I dissected it was super runny like water, except this part that felt like a jelly blob (I don't know how else to describe it.) It wasn't like a regular egg white, it was even more jelly like. I was also confused to why there was just a blood ring and no embryo🤔 There were also yellow bits of what seemed to be "cooked egg." I don't know how that would be possible though because my incubator is just a normal temperature (around 100.5)

Now, the next egg was a yolker, I know that. But when I candled it, it had NO air cell. It just had this giant air bubble floating inside of the egg. Do you think the air cell popped, releasing air into the egg? How would have that happened? I forgot to take pics of inside of the egg, but when I dissected it, it was super runny like the last one.

Thank you!

I don't know about the bits that looked like cooked egg, but the blood ring just means it died for whatever reason. I don't worry about it as it's few and far between. I figure it wasn't going to make it anyway, or would have been handicapped or die an early death or something.

I am not sure about the air cell thing, but occasionally I get one with the air cell on the side. They hatch themselves but it's weird. If the air cell is gone, I'd assume it wasn't there in the beginning, or I'd blame the postman if eggs were shipped.

The ones with nothing but runny egg look like lava lamps when you candle them, and they are either not fertilized, or as in the case of my oftentimes shipped eggs, again it's just blamed on the postman.

I keep my incubator as close to 99.5F as I can the entire incubation. My humidity is at 40-50% until lockdown, then I boost it to 65-70%.

This year I have gotten a whole lot of shipped eggs and MOST of the eggs have had that “air bubble” instead of an intact air cell. I call it a watery air cell but yes it is basically just a bubble with no membrane around it to keep it in tact. This has been happening in the eggs shipped to me due to rough handling. If you shake an egg, then the air cell will start to detach and can become the free floating bubble. I’m glad you have so many developing despite having a few blood rings and watery air cells!

This year I have gotten a whole lot of shipped eggs and MOST of the eggs have had that “air bubble” instead of an intact air cell. I call it a watery air cell but yes it is basically just a bubble with no membrane around it to keep it in tact. This has been happening in the eggs shipped to me due to rough handling. If you shake an egg, then the air cell will start to detach and can become the free floating bubble. I’m glad you have so many developing despite having a few blood rings and watery air cells!
By the way, I haven’t gotten a single one of these eggs with the watery air cells to hatch, but I have set all of them just in case!! Some of them start to develop but they all end up quitting somewhere in the first couple of weeks. Now if the air cell is still in tact but just a little bit jiggly, those can still hatch just fine, especially if they are incubated with the big side up, and handled with care.

I keep my incubator as close to 99.5F as I can the entire incubation.
Oh....I wasn't sure what temp to do because many people on here have different preferences and my incubator's manual says 100.5😬
Should I stick with the temp I'm doing now or go with 99.5??
I am not sure about the air cell thing, but occasionally I get one with the air cell on the side. They hatch themselves but it's weird. If the air cell is gone, I'd assume it wasn't there in the beginning, or I'd blame the postman if eggs were shipped.

The ones with nothing but runny egg look like lava lamps when you candle them, and they are either not fertilized, or as in the case of my oftentimes shipped eggs, again it's just blamed on the postman.
That's weird because my eggs were straight from my coop🤔

Back
Top Bottom