What do you think? Is this going to work???

zebra2u

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Whatcom County Washington
Here are my girls, and their coop is below...I would like to put them in it. But they are only 3 weeks old. Can I take the tub they are in, turn it up side down, cut out an end and turn it into a miniature coop until they get bigger for the whole coop? And can I use a regular bulb instead of a heat lamp bulb now that they are bigger?
Thanks!!

Last edited:
I don't know if the boxes will be deep enough, but I am sure the chickens will be glad to have the beer.
lau.gif

Seriously, the boxes will keep the eggs from rolling out, put a pad like a carpet scrap in the bottom so the eggs don't crack when they hit. Your coop looks good. As long as it protects the girls from predators, it is a good coop and the girls will be happy. Good job!

Thank you!! LOL...I heard that beer tenderizes the meat!! any whoooo, we are going to put hay in the boxes so they have something to lay on...and pine shavings on the floor...they are going to be happy chickens.

Don't use hay!! It is very dusty and chickens have very sensitive respiratory systems like most domestic birds that will be irritated by hay dust very easily and will eventually develope into respiratory problems. Hay also carries many harmful spores. Finally if it gets wet it quickly becomes moldy. If I were you I would use the pine shavings in the boxes as well as the floor.

By the way I love the coop and specifically the all in one stable to coop converter unit! The beer will make for nicer eggs too.

I too was going to joke about the beer too, but now I'm actually interested. Do they actually like beer? Do I have to use good beer like you are or can skimp and give them PBR or Bud?

I too was going to joke about the beer too, but now I'm actually interested. Do they actually like beer? Do I have to use good beer like you are or can skimp and give them PBR or Bud?

Have you never heard of beer butt chicken? You take a dressed chicken, put an open can of beer up it's butt and bake it. Then some one came up with a pottery bowl that looks like a bundt cake pan (think angel food cake shape) but with a beer can sized opening in the middle (has a bottom) that you pour the beer in and sit the chicken over it. Then the juices run down in the pan trench around the chicken. Very tender and good!

Sure I've heard of that, I'm just wondering if you can marinated them while they are still walking around. And if so are my eggs drunk too??

Back
Top Bottom