What Do You Think Of Barred Plymouth Rocks?

I adore PBR's!!!!! My Roo does like to jump and bute at my 6 year old Granddaughter for no reason but is amazily nice to me. They have yellow legs and single combs. They are super nice but do not love to be over crowed.

I have 4. Great birds. One will sit and snooze on my lap. The other follows me into the coop and makes sure I'm not doing something that she doesn't approve of. The other 2 are only 3mo but follow me around and are starting to get their own personality. The one that follows me hates red. She will peck my toes, fingers and even my shirt if I'm wearing red. She's quite comical and is the head honcho.

68634_dsc_0245.jpg

here is a shot of my three girls...very friendly...follow me everywhere I go, although they won't allow me to touch them!
lay great brown eggs also...my largest eggs I get from all my girls!

Uncle Marc,

Love our BRs. We're between Nashville and the KY state line, and they're dong just fine. They're good, quiet birds, which is great if you have close neighbors. (ok, quiet for chickens, lol) Ours are gentle. One gal likes to nibble toes if you go in there with flip flops, but a few gentle smacks have gotten that in line.

Gotta watch those roos though. They can be sooooo nasty
94595_madge13.jpg

lol.png

I love my BR's! (yes, I love all my chickens...) I have 5, and they each have a different personality. I also got mine from McMurray. They were the slowest to feather out, but now they are big, chubby and bossy. They're quite chatty with me, and extremely nosey as to what I'm up to all the time, but especially if I'm in the coop or run! They're good layers too. I really enjoy the breed!
smile.png

I love my two hatchery barred rocks so much that I'm now working on acquiring a show quality breeding flock. They are the sweetest, friendliest birds I have and very good layers. After months and months of looking at every exotic breed I could find trying to decide on what I wanted to focus on for a show quality flock, I came back to the BRs because I absolutely love them. I think you will be happy with the laying and personalities of hatchery BRs but you should take a look at some of the true heritage lines because they are absolutely gorgeous... Much different than what you see in hatchery birds.

My rock is the most consistent layer in the flock. Every day without fail even in the low light setting this time of year.

I only have 1, and she hasn't started laying yet, but she's a very nice looking bird, solid as someone else pointed out. lol! Mine doesn't really like to be handled, but she'd probably get better if I worked with her. I had 6 cockerels as well, but have since given them away to a farmer friend of the family to go in his mixed free-ranging flock. I had them for 11 weeks, and they were all generally calm, curious, and friendly. I didn't originally plan to have BRs, but Ideal sent them for warmth with my order this past spring. I'm very fortunate that one turned out to be a pullet. Yay, free pullet!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom