What do you think of her?

shylasgarden

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Middle Tennessee
I am hoping someone will critique this chick, I know he/she is young (5 weeks) but my 10 yr old daughter really wants to show this year and this chick is probably the best silkie I have. Do you think she would be laughed out of there?
Thanks for any and all honest opinions, Di

23962_silkie_chick.jpg

It's hard to tell until they get some age on them since silkie tend to fill-out later than most. I would say that it is hatchery quality since there is no feathering on the middle toes. Plus, the topknot is not very well developed. The blue color is beautiful, though.

I think she will be a good start, especially for a junior competition. You've got to start somewhere!
big_smile.png

Thank you, actually she is a hatchery chick, and again, probably the best of the lot. We`ve had chickens for awhile (these are our first silkies) but lately my daughter has a real interest in them. I of course don`t expect the chick to do much, I just didn`t want my daughter to be totally humiliated by having a very inferior bird. Maybe I can talk her into one of the orpingtons :)

About the only thing you can tell from a chick this age are whether the comb looks like it is probably correct and the number and placement of toes.

The bird needs 5 toes on each foot; no more, no less.

Crests come later; at this point there is no telling how well your chick will "crest up," or not. I see what looks like some middle toe feathering. If there it will likely fluff out. If not present it won't come in. But the outer toe feathering looks very nice and may well cover up a sparce middle toe.

Muff & beard looks ok. The good news is that the bird may well develop into an acceptable silkie; the bad news is that it will be months before you know.

Regardless of quality of the bird, it can be used for showmanship. Showmanship relies upon the child, not the bird. If there are faults or DQs, your daughter will need to know what they are, and be able to address how the bird should be. Your daughter's knowledge of chickens in general, the breed of her showmanship bird and that specific bird is what is judged. Also, how well she can handle the bird, and its condition.

Back
Top Bottom