What do you think of my new Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TK Poultry, Jan 4, 2010.

1. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i want an opinion on these birds and dont want to hijake the Ameraucana thread

[​IMG]
    this is the rooster

[​IMG]
    my favorite hen

[​IMG]
    the other hen

and yes they are on my car and they are in my garage for quarentine but past that what do you think i have to more but one has a crooked beak and the other a single comb so i didnt put them on here but they are on my site

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    All of them are pretty as in colorwise but nothing really screams Ameraucanas like your original flock does with me.

I would not use the single comb and crooked beaked one.....unless the beak was from an accident (then that would be ok there).

I personally do NOT like the comb on that roo, it looks too "flower-ish" and not pea combed like they should be.

The hens do not have the real beards, either they are shedding, or got beard lice or crossbred with something else.

Would I use them for my own flock? No, I would not as stated above.

I am sure they are bantams because of their short build.

3. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    well the roosters comb was better when he was younger the older hes gotten the worse its got i was told and im not sure what you mean about my original flock ive only had LF before

the crooked beak was an accident i was told at hatch and im only using the single comb as a side project just because he is adorable!!!

and is there anything majorly wrong with the hens this is my starter flock and i want to improve on it and that is why im asking you guys your opinion so i can know what to improve on

4. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i went out and looked since they are in the garage and i see the little feathers coming into their bottom beard

5. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    I can't see the 2nd hen very well, but I thought the 1st hen (2nd pic) looked pretty good. Especially if she has a beard growing in...which it kinda looks like she might.

I can't give you any specifics, but I thought that hen, at least, deserved a better review. [​IMG]

6. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I would suggest not using them for breeding, and I'm sorry to break it to you but the hens should be culled. The roosters fine though

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I am not the biggest fan but that could just be the pictures. Hopefully their beards will fill in and they will look better in time. I am not the biggest fan of their type but if they are molting hopefully they will fill in a bit more I think the Lav actually has the best beard of all of him I would breed him to the blacks and make splits because pea combs are dominant.

Good Luck,
    Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by