What do you think of this for the price?

I think it'd do okay for two LF birds. Whoever is selling this thing should have little red dots painted all over his/her body and stuck inside a pen of hungry chickens though for saying it could hold up to six standard sized chickens!! The housing isn't quite even 7 sq. ft.!!! That would be keeping chickens like the factory chicken farms do - shoulder to shoulder.
But for two birds it would work. The run is a little on the small side, so it'd be nice if they could be ranged for a few hours a day - maybe in the evenings???
As far as price, that depends on how much delivery is (I didn't read that part). If it includes delivery, then for the convenience I think it's decent, because it's cute (can't tell how well-made or not).

I too purchased this "cute" coop for a small flock of (4) bantams. It only took 2 weeks for a coon to break in and kill 3 of 4 before I could get outside. I have since built a 4ft x 4ft house, that is raised, with an attached 6ft x 8ft run for $150. I also installed a dog door so my "live traps" could get outside to do their jobs. It is very hot and humid where I live so I leave the chickens to free range all day, and just lock them in the coop at night. The dogs run outside as soon as they hear anything from "their girls", and have since caught another coon, and 2 possums. The original coop is sitting behind the garage, and in 6 months has begun to fall apart:(

Thank you!! Sounds like I should skip on it and save the $$. I knew you guys would have some insight. I'll keep scouring craigslist or make something out of pallets.
smile.png

or look for a place that sells outdoor buildings. I love my new coop it cost a little more but what I got was well worth the price I just wish I would have bought this one the 1st time it would have saved me almost 500.00..oh well live and learn.
good luck with your search!

I have a similar coop which I got from MyPetChicken. Cute coop, but very small. You can see a photo on my BYC page.

Changed out window first thing, too flimsy. Added additional locks on the run door and the coop door. Put a hardware cloth apron, attached with screws and washers, around the run and anchored the coop using metal stakes. Much more stable.

It is now in an 8' x 16' hardware covered, roofed run. I have limited free ranging for my two hens when I am present.

Last edited:
While others commented on the small size of the coop, the run also seem mighty small to me.

For the $450 - $500 (cost plus shipping) you'd pay for this, you could purchase a 10 x 10 dog kennel at a big box store such as Lowes ($229 where I live) and still have almost half of this left over for a coop made of pallets.

Gail

Back
Top Bottom