What do you think of this run?

If it is possibly, I would suggest building your own, it'll be WAY cheaper and predator proof. A coon or possum and reach through those bars and strangle the chicken. You will want to cover it in hardware cloth or build your own using hardware cloth if you're wanting to be as safe as possible :)

Depending on the predators, 1/2" hardware cloth might do, but probably also need 2x4 or similar heavier gage fencing, both covering every inch including the gate. I wouldn't use the chicken wire it comes with at all. You'd want more tarp on the roof also, to keep the rain off when it doesn't rain directly straight down, but if there is any breeze at all while raining. You'd also need some covering/shelter/tarp on parts of the sides and an end, to end up with a 3-sided wind/rain break. It does have a nice steep roof though. You might consider a carport/shelter. It'd have a sturdy frame and roof, and you'd just cover it with more metal roof panels or tarps on the sides for the shelter, and the fencing/wire I've mentioned, anyway. For roosts, you could possibly use saw horses. Some people use chicken wire, as shown in the coop from Amazon, and surround the whole thing with electric fencing. The space between the electric fence and the walk-in poultry pen serves as a day-time run.
Best of luck!

Edited to note: I had this version of structure.
Screenshot_20220206-070154_Walmart.jpg

Just had this the past 6 months or so.
Pros and Cons as everything does.
Here's my view to help you think through and hopefully save you time and money from my mistakes.
I'm in TN so quite similar weather as you in KY. For predator proofing we used 19 gauge hardware cloth surrounding entire structure except ground inside structure.
We live on a slight hill so husband said it would be fine unlevel. For OCD reasons I didn't like it being unlevel and it didn't prevent rain from washing through even with it covered with tarps.
I have dug numerous trenches to try and guide water away from the run but still encountered the run off from the tarps causing wet run.
My newly built coop being up against the unlevel run was driving me nuts. So
duing last week's gorgeous weather i set out to hydronic Jack up the lower side of the run to level it out with the coop.
Heavy rains back in forecast so I placed tarps back onto the structure.
I had done a great job leveling the run with the coop. What I did not take info consideration was the fact it would now be level on top as well thus causing the tarp to act as a pool for gallons of rain water. This caused the entire metal frame to collapse in on it self, and 100 gallons or so of rain water later I was left with this disaster.
I would caution against this structure if you will need to cover it at all with tarps.
If no covering will be used then the structure worked well...til my "hair-brained ideas" (as husband calls them) came to life.

Attachments

• 16439055492333864673288230958403~2.jpg
    16439055492333864673288230958403~2.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom