What do you think of your coop years later?

I started with a free coop, and while it was small, I could get into it. It had ladder style roosts.

My main problem has been with runs, and keeping predators out. First set up I got predator tight, and I still use it to raise up my meats, or if I have to quarantine something.

My second coop was bigger of course, but not too big. But again I had trouble with the run. We eventually went to chain link fence totally enclosed, and I am quite happy with that.

Mrs K

I started Coop Uno in April 2017 from a plan I found online that Home Depot sponsored so it must have been good right?

Here is a photo of the original build. Looked like a coop I thought but what did I know?
View attachment 2940578
Far from it actually... after multiple modifications to the coop I finally had a place for the chickens to roost only, no room for anything else.

As it stands today the inside stays pretty clean using PDZ under the roosts.
View attachment 2940583

The overall view of Coop Uno.
View attachment 2940584
I'm happy with the design of the run, just wish I had room for more overhang and should have extended the roof over the door a couple of feet for sure.

Coop Deux, I started converting a shed in February 2018 but didn't get very far until January 2020 when I really got going putting in a dividing wall for the shed.
Here is the dividing wall today.
View attachment 2940587

Inside the coop not much has changed in the last 2 years except the roll out nest box was rejected in favor of a cardboard box or two. And I lengthened the poop table and roost as it was too small for 12 Cinnamon Queens once they were fully grown.
View attachment 2940588
View attachment 2940589
View attachment 2940590

Inside the run is unfortunately where they spend most days, sometimes I let them out in the little yard they have while being supervised.
I've made a few changes like adding roosts, a pallet and a new feeder which I like a lot and so do the hens.
View attachment 2940592
View attachment 2940593

Finishing off the Chicken Crack!
View attachment 2940594

Outside the run is the same.
View attachment 2940595

So in conclusion I still hate Coop Uno every time I clean the PDZ or try to do anything on the inside of it, it's just too small and too low and the list goes on and on.

On the other hand Coop Deux I like it as it so easy to clean the Poop Table I can do it with one hand an usually have no choice when Betty Boop is in one hand.

The only drawback to having half a shed a coop is the dust it bad on the other side...

JT
Very beautiful birds.

I think at the time my coop worked with the space I had been allotted and the minimal budget I was given. I did not have anyway of knowing how addicted I would get to chickens or how I would be able to abscond more real eastate. I have added on and it def works for my climate but if I knew then what I know now I definitely do things differently. First off... my nest boxes would be lower.

FC5D1F64-4124-4DA2-ACDA-908C0B4BACAC.jpeg

052B4686-EAE1-4624-BEB0-6B55732FB952.jpeg

Motel Chix - going strong for 7 years and I wouldn’t change a thing.

View attachment 2944098

View attachment 2944094
Motel Chix - going strong for 7 years and I wouldn’t change a thing.
Blooie, We got our first chickens at the end of this past March. I had been scoping out plans and ideas for over a year before that. I ended up building a cattle panel run very much copied from yours. Thank you so much for sharing your coop page and the information you had posted!

Blooie, We got our first chickens at the end of this past March. I had been scoping out plans and ideas for over a year before that. I ended up building a cattle panel run very much copied from yours. Thank you so much for sharing your coop page and the information you had posted!
That’s so nice to hear! I hope it serves you as well as ours has served us!

My neighbor who doesn't like my chickens built this coop for me. It is what I wanted at the time. If I was to do something different, I would have the open sides closed off, and be able to collect eggs from some outside and not have to go into the coop to get eggs.
coop.PNG

I have enclosed the porches, but it doesn't look fancy like this does because I am not a builder. It is functional though. These are when it was just built...
coopa.PNG

Below was last winter...
coopsa.PNG

Whoooa, the double edged sword.

Thankfully I was able to adjust “in committee” the coop & run as we came to understand “chicken math.”

Now about to start the 4th year in a couple months… the coop & run are still the same square footage but, accessories and tweaks are often… still have a few planned to happen soon…. From last years “To do list!”:gig:pop

I started Coop Uno in April 2017 from a plan I found online that Home Depot sponsored so it must have been good right?

Here is a photo of the original build. Looked like a coop I thought but what did I know?
View attachment 2940578
Far from it actually... after multiple modifications to the coop I finally had a place for the chickens to roost only, no room for anything else.

As it stands today the inside stays pretty clean using PDZ under the roosts.
View attachment 2940583

The overall view of Coop Uno.
View attachment 2940584
I'm happy with the design of the run, just wish I had room for more overhang and should have extended the roof over the door a couple of feet for sure.

Coop Deux, I started converting a shed in February 2018 but didn't get very far until January 2020 when I really got going putting in a dividing wall for the shed.
Here is the dividing wall today.
View attachment 2940587

Inside the coop not much has changed in the last 2 years except the roll out nest box was rejected in favor of a cardboard box or two. And I lengthened the poop table and roost as it was too small for 12 Cinnamon Queens once they were fully grown.
View attachment 2940588
View attachment 2940589
View attachment 2940590

Inside the run is unfortunately where they spend most days, sometimes I let them out in the little yard they have while being supervised.
I've made a few changes like adding roosts, a pallet and a new feeder which I like a lot and so do the hens.
View attachment 2940592
View attachment 2940593

Finishing off the Chicken Crack!
View attachment 2940594

Outside the run is the same.
View attachment 2940595

So in conclusion I still hate Coop Uno every time I clean the PDZ or try to do anything on the inside of it, it's just too small and too low and the list goes on and on.

On the other hand Coop Deux I like it as it so easy to clean the Poop Table I can do it with one hand an usually have no choice when Betty Boop is in one hand.

The only drawback to having half a shed a coop is the dust it bad on the other side...

JT
Wish I would have made mine bigger chicken math is real people it's real I tell ya

Back
Top Bottom