What do you think? Photography...

I liked your blog and your photos they show a subtle way of presenting horses. But i feel that you try to take a different angle of horses next time, like one with full pic of horse than frontal alone.

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the lights! I have a 50mm, but wasn't using it for either of the samples on the blog... The horses at the top were far off and the horse/girl the horse was moving a lot and since I have to focus the 50mm manually it just got difficult to get a good clear shot so I switched lenses...

I look back at the girl/horse shots and think maybe I should have been using my flash as well?? Any opinion on that?

I am taking some classes this spring to help with the exposure/white balance...

Thank You SO MUCH for the tips and the compliments.

Quote:
Great Idea! I do plan to have albums on the facebook page, but I know not everyone has facebook. I just hate spending time uploading pics to several different sites, any suggestions?

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the lights! I have a 50mm, but wasn't using it for either of the samples on the blog... The horses at the top were far off and the horse/girl the horse was moving a lot and since I have to focus the 50mm manually it just got difficult to get a good clear shot so I switched lenses...

I look back at the girl/horse shots and think maybe I should have been using my flash as well?? Any opinion on that?

I am taking some classes this spring to help with the exposure/white balance...

Thank You SO MUCH for the tips and the compliments.

The manual 50mm f/1.4? I'd strongly recommend selling that and putting the proceeds towards a 50mm f/1.4 with autofocus. Lots of opportunity in portraiture is in kids and families. If you think the horse was moving too much for your manual just wait until you get a 2 year old in front of your camera.
lol.png

IMO you should pretty much NEVER be using an on camera flash, but I'm a purist. If you must use on camera then make sure to use a diffuser -- which can be as simple as an index card.

On the girl/horse pics I think they could be fixed a lot post-processing. They're not terrible by any means. I'd lighten up the exposure, warm up the color on most of them and then use a spot brush to lighten up the girl and horse -- kind of a fake-the-fill-light fix -- then add any of your signature processing you'd prefer. You are shooting RAW, right? If not, you need to be.

For photo hosting you can put your photos on flickr and import them and/or display them on any site. No need to upload multiple times.

ETA: The 24-70 f/2.8 is another great lens to have in your bag. It's a really versatile lens.

Last edited:
Just a warning on using facebook, once you upload your images they technically own the right to use them. So - be sure to put your watermark on the image. I haven't had much luck with having a facebook page for my photography so I'm just going to run it from my profile.

You're in the same seat as I am, only you're opening up a studio. I wish I had the money to do so at this point.

The only thing I can suggest at my level of experience is processing the photo afterwards in Photoshop or similar programs. You will be AMAZED just how much it can help a photo "pop" and look so much more appealing.

Before -

After -

I found the best way to get critiqued was to submit some of my photo's to a stock photo agency. They'll tell you straight up what's right and what isn't. They aren't afraid to hurt your feelings. If you ask friends or even strangers (such as here), they'll all likely tell you everything is awesome and great because they don't want to look bad or be labelled as negative. That just gives false hope.

Back
Top Bottom