What do you think the verdict should be?

Pineapple Mama wrote:
I happen to agree with him myself. The sheer number of people that have been slaughtered in the name of this or that deity, for this one, for that one, cuz that one said so, cuz they want a sacrifice... on and on and on... boggles me really. But, what happens when it's gone? Without hell/purgatory/hades/etc hanging over their heads will the ones who before wouldn't commit a crime now have no reason, but offending fellow humans anyways, not to? Or will folks actually use that whole brain and not harm others just because they want the same respect for themselves? Also, another question... without the complications of religion what effect will this have on population, resources, etc? For thousands of years religion has been a roundabout population control... either through the killing of entire peoples OR through the rigid rules about procreation... without either of those what can we expect in our population? A steady increase since no more sacrifices/wars? A decline in births because BC is no longer banned? Imagine what historians will read 500+ years from now about our time... fascinating.

As for the specifics of what you said - most of what religion does is sacralize norms and serve as a form of social cohesion. It provides structure and milestone events, explanation for the unexplainable etc. Science will never really know all that there is to know. And humans are social creatures. One of the things atheists say they miss about religion is the sense of belonging to a larger social group of "the church" whatever church that is. Some of them are actually starting Sunday morning get togethers just to have get togethers.

War and social policies are very effective means of population control. If you let a large enough number of your population go un-fed or underfed, they will often lessen in number. They may still breed prolifically, but their numbers may remain stable due to early deaths and infant mortality. MOST religions actually encourage excessive breeding figuring that if their group breeds more they will, by default have more members and then more power - think Catholicism.

HUmans have been proven to be hardwired for belief. What gets us into trouble is when we choose to believe that whatever it is that "we" believe is exactly right and anyone who disagrees should be punished or killed. Theistic religions that insist that some figure head must be present to interpret the word of (whoever) to the people are most likely to be prone to abuses of power. Ethicalist religions which encourage you to find your own path tend to have less of this.

In the absence of "religion" you will still have belief systems that will justify war of some sort. Many believe that if you take away the fiery threat of hell people will have no morals whatsoever and they will run amok. THere is some evidence of this, but it has to be supported by a very individualistic society that encourages that everyone is out for themselves. As social creatures, this is a fairly unnatural way for humans to behave, so it does not exist well in the absence of a religious set of guidelines to control it. (I do not attempt to teach this in an intro class - it is waaay too hard to swallow for most)

Okay, I am sorry I am done. Far too into this subject by far!!​

Pfft, don't apologize... I'm married to a Philosophy major.
tongue.png

We have, literally, sat up 'til dawn debating topics, including this one... personally I think it's a good sign... all that communication... but it is rather wearing on the sleep schedule.
smile.png

I think if I ever taught (which I knew at the age of 12 I did NOT have the patience for, but IF) I'd prolly make a similar disclaimer... I'm entirely too blunt for a lot of people, not to mention opinionated... DH says his Granny was the same so we'd have gotten on so well... HA... always the optimist.
tongue.png

I don't tell students that as a disclaimer! I tell them that as a challenge. If what we are discussing doesn't offend some of their beliefs we haven't roamed far enough! Like the dog issue.

My dog sleeps on my bed, and I eat cow. In other countries cow is sacred and eating it is repulsive and eating dog is commonplace. They would no more allow a dog in the house than you would a cow!

Someone once said to me, "I love this country, but you are a disgusting people. You build temples to the eating of cow and put better clothes on your dogs than some of you have on your children. Your poor sleep on the street while your dogs sleep in your beds!"

I said, "You have great income disparity in your country as well!"

He replied, "Yes, we do, but we do not spend millions a year on our dogs while our people go hungry." And he walked off in a huff. I think he was sugarcoating his own country's behavior, but he was still correct about ours.
idunno.gif

Ah well, you have a point there... I think I'd have listed it as a disclaimer but said it as a challenge... I'm sure you know what I mean there.
big_smile.png

And yeah, I see what you mean on the roaming... if the snake hasn't bitten you yet then you haven't poked it enough.
tongue.png

Though "You build temples to the eating of cow" just summoned up Dogma in a might big way.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Pineapple Mama wrote:
I happen to agree with him myself. The sheer number of people that have been slaughtered in the name of this or that deity, for this one, for that one, cuz that one said so, cuz they want a sacrifice... on and on and on... boggles me really. But, what happens when it's gone? Without hell/purgatory/hades/etc hanging over their heads will the ones who before wouldn't commit a crime now have no reason, but offending fellow humans anyways, not to? Or will folks actually use that whole brain and not harm others just because they want the same respect for themselves? Also, another question... without the complications of religion what effect will this have on population, resources, etc? For thousands of years religion has been a roundabout population control... either through the killing of entire peoples OR through the rigid rules about procreation... without either of those what can we expect in our population? A steady increase since no more sacrifices/wars? A decline in births because BC is no longer banned? Imagine what historians will read 500+ years from now about our time... fascinating.

As for the specifics of what you said - most of what religion does is sacralize norms and serve as a form of social cohesion. It provides structure and milestone events, explanation for the unexplainable etc. Science will never really know all that there is to know. And humans are social creatures. One of the things atheists say they miss about religion is the sense of belonging to a larger social group of "the church" whatever church that is. Some of them are actually starting Sunday morning get togethers just to have get togethers.

War and social policies are very effective means of population control. If you let a large enough number of your population go un-fed or underfed, they will often lessen in number. They may still breed prolifically, but their numbers may remain stable due to early deaths and infant mortality. MOST religions actually encourage excessive breeding figuring that if their group breeds more they will, by default have more members and then more power - think Catholicism.

HUmans have been proven to be hardwired for belief. What gets us into trouble is when we choose to believe that whatever it is that "we" believe is exactly right and anyone who disagrees should be punished or killed. Theistic religions that insist that some figure head must be present to interpret the word of (whoever) to the people are most likely to be prone to abuses of power. Ethicalist religions which encourage you to find your own path tend to have less of this.

In the absence of "religion" you will still have belief systems that will justify war of some sort. Many believe that if you take away the fiery threat of hell people will have no morals whatsoever and they will run amok. THere is some evidence of this, but it has to be supported by a very individualistic society that encourages that everyone is out for themselves. As social creatures, this is a fairly unnatural way for humans to behave, so it does not exist well in the absence of a religious set of guidelines to control it. (I do not attempt to teach this in an intro class - it is waaay too hard to swallow for most)

Okay, I am sorry I am done. Far too into this subject by far!!​

Philosophy always sounded like a really boring class when I was in HS. Unfortunately I didn't get much college. If I ever get the time to go to school I would love to take a class like that.

I fully agree on the Atheism thing. I think that is one of the reasons I don't enjoy Christmas as much as I used to. I might actually go to a Mass on Christmas if I could just sit there and enjoy the choir and the general feeling in the church. I couldn't do it though. It would make me feel like too much of a hypocrite because I truly don't believe and it would be a sham on my part.​

I think it is OK to go. I think humans benefit from group activities like that. There is a reason why we get such a rush from activities when there are a large number of us engaging in some emotional release type behavior. So, go, soak up the emotion and go home.

There are many studies now about how the brain works that explain why we believe. There are many studies of the universe that show us how extremely little we know. I think the truth will be when we find the intersection of these things. Many people believe this means we will find "god". I think we'll discover that we are god. The universal harmony. The cosmic vibration. I believe in the Higgs Bosun.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I think it is OK to go. I think humans benefit from group activities like that. There is a reason why we get such a rush from activities when there are a large number of us engaging in some emotional release type behavior. So, go, soak up the emotion and go home.

There are many studies now about how the brain works that explain why we believe. There are many studies of the universe that show us how extremely little we know. I think the truth will be when we find the intersection of these things. Many people believe this means we will find "god". I think we'll discover that we are god. The universal harmony. The cosmic vibration. I believe in the Higgs Bosun.

My wife is Wiccan. I've read a few of her books. It makes a lot more sense than what I was raised with. JMO, it's all speculation.​

Quote:
well there are some native sayings about a tribe being destroyed only when the women are dead.

it is true, if you have more men than women a group is far less likely to survive.

Back
Top Bottom