what do you think this silkie is x'ed with?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MNmommy, May 1, 2009.

1. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    ok I bought purebred silkies from a breeder and soon realized they are NOT pure....long story short I am stuck with the birds without any refunds or exchanges but that is a whole 'nother story....

so as these guys are growing ( I have 2) I have been wondering what they are crossed with. I was looking at this one today and noticed a v comb and wondered what breeds have a v comb. It also looks like is is a walnut comb with a v comb too? I am really thinking this one is a roo, from day one he has screamed roo characteristics. He has the black skin, feather feet, 5 toes

So what birds have v combs and do you have any guesses to what it might be crossed with???

thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Could be ANYTHING! He has regular feathers, eh?

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Maybe Polish

4. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Mom is a silkie and dad is from a good neighborhood!![​IMG]

5. Lund121671

Lund121671 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Owe, I would say a LaFletch. Looks just like there comb.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I don't think you will know until *he* grows out so you can see his shape and size. How old are they?

if you go here you can see what many breeds have for comb type
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

eta- I agree it is most likely a Polish though as it is a more common breed than many of the other v-combed birds.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I would say polish too. Cute though. Looks like a little crow. [​IMG]

8. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    Quote:he totally looks like a crow!!!! When people come and see my chicks they ask if that is a crow or a chicken [​IMG]

So am I right, is he looking rooish? He will have to go.....no roos here, dang suburbs!!!

He is 3 1/2 weeks old and is a big boy already

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    *he* may only be larger because of the larger breed parent. Honestly, I would give it a few more weeks. I hate hearing it too, but that is the best way to be sure. I almost gave away 2 ameraucana because I though they were cockerals. Well, life happened and I didn't get around to it and they were just wheaten pullets (I only had blue wheaten to compare). You never know.......
    good luck and I will cross my fingers for you [​IMG] for a pullet
    it is harder with the mixed breeds because you never know what genetics they have

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    MANY silkies have those points; 15 or so years ago the standard required them (three--called trifid) [​IMG]

They are generally thought to have been introduced from crosses with polish to increase crest size. Polish have a V-com, which when crossed with rose comb often puts those points on top.

Most breeders now work hard to eliminate them, although there are no points deducted for their presence.

Other than that your silkieX seems to have a decent comb, and it is VERY dark, which is good. I do see the lack of crest and non-silkie feathering [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by