What Do You Think...?

MadChickenMama

Songster
Apr 14, 2018
North Carolina
***Sorry this is so long***

I am about to get some Serama eggs on Sunday and for over a week now I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about incubating eggs as none of the chickens my sister has are broody. I've read that Seramas can be difficult to incubate and whatnot because they're such a small breed and with that comes issues. So I want to make sure I have all the knowledge I can get.

Unfortunately I cannot get a really good incubator in time. I've looked everywhere nearby and all the stores seem to have the same two kinds and I'll be gone this weekend so ordering one at this point won't do me any good unless I want to spend a pretty penny to have it shipped overnight...which I sometimes think about doing because I could very well be out the money I spend on the eggs if I don't get at least 1 to hatch.

Anyway, if I end up with the common brand of incubator that seems to be sold around here, it is just a still air incubator and it will have a turner in it as well. I've see about the differences in where temp needs to be depending on still air or fan. One thing I saw, however, was an incubator that had a cooling time you could add in. It was on a Brinsea model and I was told by a friend who has been hatching and raising chickens for a while that they have had the best results with a Brinsea.

The video I watched was by a customer just showing how to set the thing up and she said the cooling feature was to simulate when the hen would get up to go eat and whatnot. It makes sense. But I wanted to ask y'all's opinion. Have any of you dealt with an incubator with a cool down feature? Have you ever just done it up so you gave the incubator a cooling period if it didn't have that feature? Have you done both cool down and not? What were your experiences? How was hatch rate compared to how many eggs were fertile?

Also, should I candle at all? After all my reading I would prefer not to handle the eggs almost at all, just to be safe. But is it a good idea to have an idea of how many eggs are fertile? The breeder I'm getting the eggs from says she has a roughly 90% fertility rate from those eggs still in her care through hatching. Based on reviews for her I feel pretty good in trusting her word on that.

Edit: I'm wondering if it makes much of a difference to use the Celsius setting rather than the Fahrenheit setting. Isn't Celsius a bit more accurate?

Last edited:
Well... I got my BEST hatches in my still air bators with NO turner. :p

I actually LOVE my 1602N.

Your candling could also simulate the hen getting up. Don't spend extra if you don't have to. Never worried about a cool down feature, this is the first I heard about it. :confused: Make sure to move the eggs to a new location inside the bator every day to help ensure even development.

I was so worried about candling and the eggs cooling down... they aren't nearly as fragile as we fear! Candling can be a lot of fun and very interesting... since you are nervous... just do you first one at 7 days. All development will be nice and clear by then. My cell phone flash light works as well or better than the candling one I bought.

My silkies hatch just fine (on day 21, not early as some claim for bantams)... run a "dry" incubation... around 40-45% humidity.

Very minimum... candle before lock down and get rid of any quitters... so they don't explode or ooze... it can stinky, otherwise and risk exposure of the other chicks to the bacteria that are creating that stink. :sick

Good ;uck and happy hatching! :fl :jumpy:jumpy

Well... I got my BEST hatches in my still air bators with NO turner. :p

I actually LOVE my 1602N.

Your candling could also simulate the hen getting up. Don't spend extra if you don't have to. Never worried about a cool down feature, this is the first I heard about it. :confused: Make sure to move the eggs to a new location inside the bator every day to help ensure even development.

I was so worried about candling and the eggs cooling down... they aren't nearly as fragile as we fear! Candling can be a lot of fun and very interesting... since you are nervous... just do you first one at 7 days. All development will be nice and clear by then. My cell phone flash light works as well or better than the candling one I bought.

My silkies hatch just fine (on day 21, not early as some claim for bantams)... run a "dry" incubation... around 40-45% humidity.

Very minimum... candle before lock down and get rid of any quitters... so they don't explode or ooze... it can stinky, otherwise and risk exposure of the other chicks to the bacteria that are creating that stink. :sick

Good ;uck and happy hatching! :fl :jumpy:jumpy

Thanks for the info! I was wondering if there was a specific reason for removing eggs that won't (or most likely won't) hatch. Hahaha, you'd think with all I've read I would have come across that before now :/

I watched the next video the woman who did the Brinsea set up one did, showing her candling her eggs. She was talking about doing it quickly, not wanting to expose the eggs to the cooler air for too long. I just thought, "Why not do your candling during the cool down period?" But yeah, I guess taking them out to candling would simulate the cool down period, too. That actually really helps me! I decided to skip on the cheaper incubator and spend some extra money to help ensure I had a better hatch rate. Not looking for one with a cool down feature makes it a lot cheaper and easier ^_^

I can't wait to get everything set up and get my eggs on Sunday!! My sister and I are picking them up ourselves on the way back from a beach trip so we don't have to worry about the post office in my town getting their ham hands on them.

@EggSighted4Life

Would you mind running me through the conditions your incubator is in while you incubate eggs? Like how does the temp fair, the humidity, how often do you turn your eggs, how does it go for you when adding water, where do you keep the incubator during incubation, and any other tidbits you think might be helpful.

I love details. The more detailed, the better so don't worry about loading me down with info.

Back
Top Bottom