What do you think?

Below 0 and 9 months
We have got around 0F for 2 nights now and they are just fine - no heat, no insulation. At 9 months yours are better insulated that hours 2y old because some of them still molting.

Also if you supplement heat at night they may decide that it is not warm enough outside during the day to go out.

That's dangerous, and unnecessary, as already mentioned.
When using a heat lamp for any reason, it needs to be very securely attached, NOT using that clamp!!! I use a chain from the lamp to an overhead fixed structure, like a rafter, and have the electric cord tied up high, at least. Nothing flammable anywhere near it.
Those clamps fail!!!
Mary

Heat lamp is not needed. We got down to -12 during the texas snowmageddon last year and could have provided heat even if we wanted to because we were without power. All of the girls made it just fine. I did have to lock them up in the coop because they wud disappeared in the snow but our coop was plenty big enough for that.

Not sure what advice you were looking for in this thread as there's not a clear question? Less bothered by the ventilation at this point than the heat lamps that don't appear well secured and are close enough that birds can jump up and burn themselves.

It has vents on the top of the coop
I think the intent was more specific information, to assess if you have enough ventilation. Example: I have a ridge vent that runs the 10' length of my coop, two 24"x36" windows that open half way, etc.

That's dangerous, and unnecessary, as already mentioned.
When using a heat lamp for any reason, it needs to be very securely attached, NOT using that clamp!!! I use a chain from the lamp to an overhead fixed structure, like a rafter, and have the electric cord tied up high, at least. Nothing flammable anywhere near it.
Those clamps fail!!!
Mary
I fixed it set it up with a wire now it's secure

Not sure what advice you were looking for in this thread as there's not a clear question? Less bothered by the ventilation at this point than the heat lamps that don't appear well secured and are close enough that birds can jump up and burn themselves.

I think the intent was more specific information, to assess if you have enough ventilation. Example: I have a ridge vent that runs the 10' length of my coop, two 24"x36" windows that open half way, etc.
I was looking for any advice if you want a more details you can checkout dkonranch on YouTube I do a tour

Back
Top Bottom