What do you think?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rancher hicks, Jul 31, 2010.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Right now I have 5 Del roos, 4 mos. olde, only one of who I intend to keep, and that's debatable. I also have a Del chick roo and maybe another. Seems Dels don't produce many hens around here. I also have two bantam Frizzle/Del chicks and expect maybe two more to be born soon.
    I have scheduled the four older birds to be processed at the end of August, but I really don't want to feed them til then nor do I like the looks of them. In fact none of the birds from the hatch look very nice. Perhaps they will get better looking when they are older?

The thing is I was going to offer them, for free, to a contact who I gave 6 hens that had been pecked but just took to long to grow their feathers back. They were laying but I just got too stressed looking at them.

I can't process them myself, not to mention they don't look very promising for meat. I think producing Delawares to the original standard and purpose is a long way off even for Whitmore farms.

So what do you think? Should I keep them to see if they fatten up or give them away?

I have no seperate place for roosters to be penned up. They are starting to mate and crow.

Thanks for your advice

Rancher

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    In your situation, I would give them away.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    With limited facilities, I think that I would give them away. Sounds as if they are becoming an aggravation. Our birds are supposed to provide enjoyment-not stress.

4. littlethorn

littlethorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern California
    I agree with the others in this thread about giving them away. You sound like keeping them is becoming stressful and hanging onto them despite the fact that you no longer want them will probably only make that worse. You need to think about your wellbeing first.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Of course your right. I read about birds be ready to butcher at 12 wks and these guys are not. I don't want the breeding and stressing the hens out. I'm not sure I'd eat them anyhow.

Thanks for the advice.

6. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Maybe do you have a farmers market close by,you could take them there to just give away or a dollar or two,. some one might just take them to butcher, or maybe need a roo.
    I have no luck with C/L here. lots of chickens on it. good luck to you Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by