What do you think??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Heartlandrabbitry, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Heartlandrabbitry

Heartlandrabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    I was just seeing if anyone could give me comments on my chickens and if they look ok to be show chickens? I know nothing about showing chickens and will be attending our first show next month! Hope these pictures will be ok [​IMG] Thanks everyone for any comments!!

Polish Hen
    [​IMG]

Partridge Cochin Bantam Rooster
    [​IMG]

Same Rooster
    [​IMG]

OEG Bantam Hen
    [​IMG]

Sebright Bantam Hen
    [​IMG]

RIR Bantam Hen
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    When going to a small show you'll get fairly good odds of winning, but one thing I must let you know of is that if you got your birds from a feedstore or hatchery and are expecting "good quality," I'll sadly have to tell you that you won't. Anyway, about their traits. . .

The Polish hen - WAY too much black in her crest, too small of a crest, and too thin of a body type. Otherwise she's got a good tail and waddles. [​IMG]

The Cochin - His tail looks rather low set, and he doesn't have a nice "cushion" of feathering on his back. He needs to look very plump and fluffy.

The Sebright - I believe she needs a higher set tail and a much more pronounced chest, but otherwise she's nice looking.

I can't tell much from the Rhode Island Red, but it at least has good color from what I see.

Good luck showing them though! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  3. Heartlandrabbitry

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    Quote:Thanks! I know my chickens probably won't win but at least we will have fun! Do you know of any DQ's that I should know of? I know with my rabbits there are many DQ's but I'm not familiar with the chicken ones [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    General ones that may apply to your birds are things like a side-spring in a single comb (if you've got a point sticking out the side) White that covers more than a fingernail's length on a White Crested Black Polish body, vulture hocks (feathering on the hocks, although I'm not sure about Cochins) feathering on a clean legged bird, a rose comb that doesn't have the tapered tip it should, stuff like that.

Oh and weight. If the bird is over or under, I believe it is 20% (anyone want to correct me?) of the bird's SOP weight, it is a DQ.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    As the first responder said you polish has WAY too much black in her crest & her body lacks depth & length. Her waddles were mentioned but I'm sure that should have been wattles. Ducks waddle, chickens have wattles.

The Cochin's type is very poor. A good Cochin is round & full from ever angle.

The OEGB is much too long in the back, her tail isn't well spread & her wing is too loose.

The Sebright has pretty nice colour but she too is long in the back. Her tail isn't well spread & is carried too low.

The Red has decent body type but her wing isn't carried up & well folded. her tail should be less pinched.

ETA: yes, disqualifying weight is +/- 20% of standard weight.

You say you're not aware of chicken disqualifications so I suspect you don't own a Standard. If you seriously are interested in showing, and not wasting your time & money, a Standard should be the next thing you buy.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  6. Heartlandrabbitry

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    Thanks everyone! Well I may get the Standard depending on how well we enjoy showing our chickens. It will be just a fun learning experience for us! [​IMG]

7. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Well I say good luck at the show.

8. Heartlandrabbitry

Oct 27, 2010
    Washington
    can you hear me now? :

Well I say good luck at the show.

Thanks, we probably need it [​IMG]