What do you think?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by whistlin dixie, May 5, 2007.

1. whistlin dixie

whistlin dixie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2007
    I have a nice roomy coop for my 6 hens, a nice size fenced in chicken yard. I wanted to put my pet mini lop rabbit out there with the hens so she can run around a little, she is gentle and sweet, I hate to have her caged. Does anyone see a problem with this?

2. livestock101

livestock101 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2007
    You'll likely get varying answers to this but we've had 2 bunnies living in the coop for 2 years now and we have had no problems. They get along well with the chickens. They hop on into the coop at night before I lock up the chicken door and the bunnies are the first ones out that door every morning. I didnt like the idea of having our rabbits locked up in a small cage.

Only problem we've had is with the bunnies digging "tunnels" in the run. Their always trying to tunnel out of there.

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have the same thing... I have a rabbit that free ranges with my chickens. They co exsist well. I have a rabbit "pen" also but he fought with another males, so in with the chickens he went. They have no problems together at all.

4. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Make sure that they cannot eat each other's food. I doubt that a rabbit's kidneys could cope with all the calcium in layers pellets.

5. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi, I am one that had a problem with the chickens and bunnies. My rooster and hens ganged up on my rabbits. One ended up missing hair on her ears, and the other was saved by my kids who heard her screaming as the roo was attacking. For me it didn't work out.

If you try, I would start with quick "visitation" sessions first and heavily monitor them till you feel very secure the chickens won't decide to pick on them.

Best wishes [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  6. whistlin dixie

whistlin dixie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2007
    Ok, I dont have any roosters so I dont think it will be a problem. I have already successfully put the bunny in with the chickens, so far so good. Now my next question is I want to get another bunny to put out there with my girl mini lop, but I heard that you shouldnt put two rabbits together because they will fight. If I get one should I get a boy or girl? Or none at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by