What do YOU think?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chefchick, Oct 11, 2011.

1. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I have 6- 22+ week chickens 3 RIR and 3 GSL that have been laying for awhile now. the first was about a month ago, and the rest are all pretty regular now. I have been getting 5or 6 eggs most days.

I ALSO have 7 15 week old pullets of mixed parentage (all hatched from brown eggs) the farmer had pure Auracana, RIR, White leghorn, Black Australorps, barred rock, and others. I know next to nothing aobut genetics and who could be who's mommy and daddy, but I have 4 who look like WL, 2 black ones that look like the farmer's BA, and one EE? with a cute little beard. the white one's combs are just growing and barely pink, the black ones have tiny red combs and wattles, and the EE? has a small but very red single comb. the white ones are very skittish, and the other three will let you pet them but have not squatted for me yet.

Yesterday a noon, I had 6 eggs- Yesterday at 4:45 there was another egg... very pale tan colored, regular sized, egg. Aren't my babies too young to lay at 15 weeks? I am puzzled here... not only because they are so young, but also because I got 6 eggs the day before, so unless there was some egg making miracle with two eggs from one of the others, I have a very young one laying... isn't that dangerous?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It is possible for both to happen. One can, rarely lay 2 eggs in one day, and a layer can, rarely, start laying that early. Most likely it's the one with the reddest comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by