What do you think?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Whitney9988, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Whitney9988

Whitney9988 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Washington
    I bought 5 new chickens last night. One Brahma, one Jersey, one Rhode Red, and two mystery birds. The man didn't speak English very well so I don't think he understood me when I asked what kind they were. He only replied "they're chickens" lmao. I think the white one could be a Cornish or a Leghorn. The "Irish cream" colored one(thatÂ’s the color it reminds me of) I thought could be a New Hampshire? Its darker than my Buff Orpington but lighter than the Rhode Red. Here are pictures of the two...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Interesting. Not sure about the white one but the red one is not a new hampshire...they are really dark... here is my NHR

[​IMG]

Her markings look sorta familiar though and if I think of it, I will update this reply. Pretty girls though.

Edit: a chanteclor maybe? Nope they are too dark and partridge patterned hmmm I will keep thinking. lol

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    The white one looks like a leghorn to me. I'm not sure about the pretty Irish Cream girl, but I sure love her!

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    The red bird appears to be a new hampshire or could be a production red. Hatchery new hampshire vary in color quit a bit. Same thing for production red.

Tim

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Cetawin, my hatchery NH girls are bright flaming red, not dark like yours. In fact, I've never seen one as dark as yours. Yours looks like a RIR. I agree with Tim. I think the bird in question is a hatchery NH girl. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  6. Whitney9988

Apr 22, 2008
    Washington
    I'm waiting to get some white egg to confirm if the white hen is a leghorn. Could take a couple of weeks to settle in.

The red hen is't really that red. Maybe she could be a golden comet?[​IMG]

7. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    1. Leghorn
    2. Production red, OR Buff Rock
    3. Rhode Island Red or Production Red. They vary QUITE a bit in coloration...but yours is a very NICE dark color. Colored VERY close to a Rhode Island Red.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    #1 is a Leghorn
    #2 looks EXACTLY like our Red Sex link.

9. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    #1 is for sure a white leghorn, it has yellow legs and white earlobes

#2 is odd. I am going to be difficult and say a buff rock. It is an even color overall, no black or white in the tail or hackle.
    My first thought was a new hampshire

10. Whitney9988

Apr 22, 2008
    Washington
    So it sounds like my mystery bird could be a NH or sex-link. Oh boy, I wish the guy spoke english better lol. Are there several kind of sex-link chickens? Is there any more info I can give you guys that could help? I think I'm going to name here mystery lmao...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by