What do you think?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by LittleRock, Sep 30, 2014.

1. LittleRock

LittleRock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    Sunny So Cal
    This one has me stumped. Do you guys think tom or hen? Also what breed do y'all think it is? Thanks for all the help![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, it is about five months old.

2. Banana Hen

Banana Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2013
    With my flock(s)
    It is a young hen if I am not mistaken. Also the breed is Turkey. (I am serious. I will give the variety though) The variety is Narragansett.

3. LittleRock

Aug 30, 2014
    Sunny So Cal
    Thanks! Right variety vs breed.

4. chknoodles

chknoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    This actually looks male to me and is a little dark for a full blooded Narragansett. The snood looks enlarged and lots of caruncles (I know that's spelled wrong). We have 3 males and one female. At 5 months, he should start gobbling soon, if it is a boy.[​IMG]

5. LittleRock

Aug 30, 2014
    Sunny So Cal
    Thanks! I really hope it's a hen and not another tom. I hope for a hen more than I hope for a pure of any variety. I actually have a slate tom that is a whole month younger than it and he is the same size if not bigger. He is also gobbling and strutting already. I also have a black tom that is the same age and he is very much a tom, constantly strutting and gobbling. That is the largest/longest the snood ever gets, and the hair on the top of the head doesn't seem to be going away . For those reasons I am hopeful it is a hen. It has not strutted nor gobbled and is coming up and 5.5 months of age.

6. chknoodles

chknoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    Hope you are right. Of our 3 boy Narri, one is not maturing as fast as the other two. However, he is the most loveable - likes to be close to us.

7. beardedmessman

beardedmessman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2012
    I am raising 30 Narrangansetts this year . Some of them are around 5 months and I should say that the one you have should definitely be a female.
    If you have other turkeys with it, it should strut or gobble.

8. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

definitely a Narragarrett.

9. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Look at the breast feathers. See how they have white edges? Hen. Narragansett. Looks pretty pure to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by