What do you think?

LittleRock

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 30, 2014
Sunny So Cal
This one has me stumped. Do you guys think tom or hen? Also what breed do y'all think it is? Thanks for all the help!

Oh yeah, it is about five months old.

This actually looks male to me and is a little dark for a full blooded Narragansett. The snood looks enlarged and lots of caruncles (I know that's spelled wrong). We have 3 males and one female. At 5 months, he should start gobbling soon, if it is a boy.

Thanks! I really hope it's a hen and not another tom. I hope for a hen more than I hope for a pure of any variety. I actually have a slate tom that is a whole month younger than it and he is the same size if not bigger. He is also gobbling and strutting already. I also have a black tom that is the same age and he is very much a tom, constantly strutting and gobbling. That is the largest/longest the snood ever gets, and the hair on the top of the head doesn't seem to be going away . For those reasons I am hopeful it is a hen. It has not strutted nor gobbled and is coming up and 5.5 months of age.

I am raising 30 Narrangansetts this year . Some of them are around 5 months and I should say that the one you have should definitely be a female.
If you have other turkeys with it, it should strut or gobble.

Thanks! I really hope it's a hen and not another tom. I hope for a hen more than I hope for a pure of any variety. I actually have a slate tom that is a whole month younger than it and he is the same size if not bigger. He is also gobbling and strutting already. I also have a black tom that is the same age and he is very much a tom, constantly strutting and gobbling. That is the largest/longest the snood ever gets, and the hair on the top of the head doesn't seem to be going away . For those reasons I am hopeful it is a hen. It has not strutted nor gobbled and is coming up and 5.5 months of age.
Look at the breast feathers. See how they have white edges? Hen. Narragansett. Looks pretty pure to me.

Back
Top Bottom