What % do you tip when you eat out??

I tip 20%, .... 25% or more for wonderful service. I have only once tipped 10%, and she deserved to get much less, but I still felt bad leaving only that.

When I have gone to dinner with my mom and she treats, she hasn't always left the best tip. When I have asked her why, she claimed she did leave a good amount. I pulled her through the math and she looked a little embarrassed and asked how much she needed to put down to get the right amount. Now I just put money down on top of hers after she has walked away.

Usually 20%, calculated on the total bill and rounded up. I figure the waiters/waitresses are working pretty hard and need the money. Even if they don't provide the finest service, maybe it's not their fault or they are having problems that I don't know about and don't want to add to by being cheap.

I usually tip 20%, at least, often times a bit more because I figure it on the tax, as well. For just OK service, I tip 15%. I feel if you cannot afford the tip, then you cannot afford a meal out. At least that is my rule for myself.

I've only left nothing for a tip once, and that girl absolutely deserved it. Our meal was ruined because of her lousy service and horrible attitude.

I waited tables many yrs ago...pay rate was 0.70 cents and hour! ugh!
I try to tip 20% if very good service and very nice servers...if just decent I tip 12%...if extra super lousy NOTHING!! and I am ashamed to say I had to tip zero today for a totally disgusting restaurant today

Quote:
i was under the impression that restaurants, may pay a base like 2.50 or other but if tips do not make it up to minimal wage the restaurant has to make up the difference or be in violation of federal wage and hour laws???????????????? tips should be paid for the quality of service.....

I tip 15% for average service, 20% for very good service. I leave nothing for very poor service and absolutely do not feel guilty about it! I'm curious to know why you stay in food serving if the pay is so bad and they take out all that tax.

I usually tip 25-30%-used to work for tips-its rough but if I have really bad service-it would have to be really bad like - why is this person working with the public bad - then its 10%.

Quote:
i was under the impression that restaurants, may pay a base like 2.50 or other but if tips do not make it up to minimal wage the restaurant has to make up the difference or be in violation of federal wage and hour laws???????????????? tips should be paid for the quality of service.....

Restaurants generally don't do that. They do fancy-schmancy calculations to show that you really did make min wage - even if you didn't.

Back
Top Bottom