What do you use as flooring in your brooder?

nuzuki

Hatching
7 Years
May 19, 2012
Hi all,
First id like to say great forum, ive only just joined today. I have 3 cuckoo marans and one light sussex chick. I am getting through so much kitchen roll and was wondering what other people use as flooring for their brooders? I have anti slip mat stuff on the floor then 2 layers of kitchen roll, then half of the brooder is covered in a tea towel then a smaller tea towel folded up in the corner on top of the other tea towel. Does that sound alright?

Thanks for any advice :)

Hi..new to chicks as well but i am currently using sand, with aspen chips (mine are two and 1/2 weeks now). The first two weeks I used aspen chips (allergic to pine) with paper towels layed on top. I LOVED that...they are so messy now with wood chips....throw them everywhere....wish I was back on paper towels....just roll them up and throw them away....easy and clean.

welcome-byc.gif

You can use shredded newspaper or wood shavings. Will cost less! I use an old blanket, which I then wash and re-use later.

When first hatched I put the chicks in a large plastic tub lined with puppy training pads. After they are eating and drinking well, and moving around actively, I switch them to a large (appliance-sized) carboard box lined with heavy plastic covered in pelleted pine bedding, pine shavings, or a combination of both. Get the large size shavings not the fine to prevent them from eating the bedding.

Back
Top Bottom