What do you use for a run roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by n2thestorm5032, Jul 7, 2008.

1. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah my run Has no roof and is 4 foot and what I read is that a chicken can easily clear that, so I need a roof, what do you use and where id you get it??

2. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    I think most people put some kind of wire over their run. I am planning to use hardware cloth or I may even use corrugated plastic roofing material for the run as well as the coop. I haven't decided yet. All these things are available at Home Depot.

3. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    I'm using 2"x4" welded wire for the run roof.

4. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    If you use anything other than hardware cloth you will risk predators getting inside. We have had a terrible time with snakes in NC. The snakes just crawl up and go in anywhere there is wire big enough for them to get in, such as chicken wire. The hardware cloth is tiny so they can't get in!
    We even had to put in the inside roof of the coop because they would come in the tiny groove in the tin roof. Good Luck!

5. Barnrat

Barnrat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I used hardware cloth and then put some metal roof panels on top of that. Those were just to provide shade.

Barnrat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by