What do you use for a scald pot?

peteyfoozer

Songster
12 Years
Jul 5, 2011
SE Oregon
Turkey fryer? And if so, what is the best kind to get? I''m trying to get all the stuff together we will need to process our own next year as we really loved the meat, but want to save the processing fees!.
What other equipment besides sink, scald pot...maybe a plucker if I am VERY lucky...got one traffic cone, but should maybe have another, if we are going to try and do 50 CX...any help appreciated!

2 gal bleach jugs are just the right size and strength for CX if you need more cones. We used my granny's copper apple butter kettle for our scald....fit it right into the top of our outside fireplace and it looked like it was made for it. Worked like a charm.

Sharp knives and pruning shears come in real handy during butchering. Ice chests or something similar for chilling the meat down as you process.

Love the turkey fryer for this. It's perfect size and has a thermometer so you can keep track of the temp. Got ours on CL for $30!

Quote:
Charcoal briquets provide a hot, even heating in this setup...this is a copper kettle set down in the top of an outside fireplace, one for patios. Worked like a charm and kept the water at just the right temp all day long.

6459_meat_chickens_processing_004.jpg

I just bought a Bayou Classic turkey fryer off amazon. I got the pot and burner and hookup for a propane tank. and was $45 because it was basically scratch and dent. The box was tore up and the lid of the fryer a few small dents but that didn't matter to me. I get to try it out this coming weekend for the first time.

I'm lazy and do most of my processing in the house (dispatching is done in the garage). I just use my waterbath canner on my stove. Processing is all on me, and I have done up to 20 in a day through the day, in small batches (I like to to do 2-4 at a time).

We use a turkey fryer and I love it b/c the lid has a hole for the meat thermometer so on days like today when it was windy/cool i was able to heat it quickly with the lid on. In between scaldings the lid kept everything pretty hot until I needed it again too. This saves on the gas needed to heat it.

Back
Top Bottom