What do you use for a winter dust bath in your coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fasbendera, Nov 4, 2009.

1. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    This is my fifth winter here in a northern climate. It gets well below freezing for 3-4 months with a few 32 degree or above days sprinkled in and the ground is solid as a rock. When it gets to the the freezing stage I leave the birds inside to prevent any comb frost bite. I have not put in anything for a dust bath and after reading a few posts I am thinking maybe I should they would love it. Is sand the best thing or should I leave well enough alone and let them dig in the pine shavings.

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I put sand in mine. they really like that. Gloria Jean

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have made a 'brew' of moss, sand, wood ash and a little DE.. mine love it.

4. Pampered Chicken

Pampered Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    What do you put it in?

5. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    I got a black pan thing at Lowes. I think it is designed for mixing cement. Roomy enough, deep enough and comes in two sizes.

6. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Quote:I am pretty positive I am going to do a dust box (wading pool) if I can find a small one. What ratios do you use?

7. MimiChick

MimiChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Glocester, RI
    I use a kitty litter pan with a mix of sand, garden soil and wood ashes in about equal parts, then I sprinkle in some DE and poultry dust (permethrin based). The girls love it and it's I've seen 2 of them in there at the same time, so it's apparently big enough. Every so often I add in a little more sand or wood ash and sprinkle some more DE and poultry dust to keep any mites/lice at bay.

8. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Dead ashes from the wood stove or fire place. It will keep down the bugs.

Rufus

9. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I like this idea, since my birds are coming into the barn in about a week. I have some older rubber feed buckets--think I'll use one of them since the bottoms get a little rough and the horses don't like the feel of them that way.

10. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I used a bag of the moss, bag of sand and shovel full of wood ash (from last years fireplace) and a handful of DE... Everyday, I see one of the girls that looks like "Pig-Pen" in Charlie Brown's Christmas! They walk out into the sunshine and shake and the dust just bellows up around them... I use a black pan that's for cement/mortar mix-from Lowes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by