what do you use for grit?

Chris, that grit mix looks excellent, I'll order a bag if they ship to Canada!

thanks everyone for your input - now I know what to get my flock so they can digest their food better
smile.png

Grit can be anything they can safely swallow, that isn't toxic, and that is harder than the food they are eating.

Mostly I use oyster shell for my laying birds. Yeah it's not as hard as granite, but it is harder than moistened grains which is all that it has to be. The gizzard doesn't care. It grinds them all together.

For reasons I've never understood it's hard enough to find simple oyster shell around here. Granite grit is next to impossible unless you want to buy it in those little pet sized bags. There is only one feed store that carries large bags and that's only because some folks at the university want it. I use it with my non-laying birds since they aren't going to be eating oyster shell. "Pigeon grit" is what they call it and that's the only size I've ever been able to find in a several county area.

Alternatively I use aquarium gravel which I can find easily enough. Be sure to get the non-coated, non-dyed natural gravel in a size that's appropriate for the bird usually somewhere between very coarse sand and extra fine gravel.

.....Alan.

Quote:
Most people buy blue or white granite for their driveway though
wink.png

The only problem with softer rocks is that they break down faster, requiring more to replace it faster. If you're getting river rock for free then the amount used isn't a big issue IMO. The stuff from the river is the same stuff that's in my yard, and my driveway, because that's just the natural rock around here ---- so besides being there already, it's also brought in during construction.

Quote:
You are absolutely right. If the grit is too small it just goes right threw them. So get the right size grit and don't substitute grit for sand or stones. For the true affect on the digestive system use only Granite Grit. It's like $13.00 for a 50 lb bag. Which will last the life of your flock. Or you can buy it by the pound. In any event it's worth every penny spent. Good healthy crop and digestive system. This is not the area to be pinching penny's. What other people say or do that is different they are mistaken.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
It's been my experience that the great majority of folks who keep birds do not feed grit at all yet their birds seem to do just fine. If they're on the ground chances are they are taking care of it themselves.

.....Alan.

Back
Top Bottom