What do you use for scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kalaim, Oct 1, 2008.

1. kalaim

kalaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    I bought some cracked corn for my new chicks, they are between 4-10 weeks old. But I also want to add something else to it.

If I'm going to the feed store, do I just buy oats or wheat made for horses?

Sorry, I'm a city girl!! They don't have a pre-packaged scratch mix at the pet store where I buy their feed!

2. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    4 to 10 week old chicks need to be on Start And Grow chick starter. you have give them a little scratch as a treat and supplement, but thier main diet at this point needs to be start and grow chick crumbles.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Scratch is considered a treat... not a feed.

Hopefully you are feeding them Starter or Start & Grow. You should continue them on that feed until they are about 20 weeks old or start to lay eggs. Then switch them to Layer feed.

Unfortunately I threw my bag that the scratch came in away so I can't read all the stuff they have in there. Mine has probably five to 10 different seeds and corn. I would suggest you call a local feed store and ask them to read you the ingredient list from a bag of scratch. That will give you your answer.

4. kalaim

kalaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Yes, they are on the starter feed. I was just looking for a treat to scratch around for too.

Sorry, didn't mean to worry you![​IMG]

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    A chick needs & uses all of their nutrients for proper growth and development. They are too young to be having treats IMO and what you will end up with is a bunch of unthrifty chickens. Stick to a good nutritional diet for their first few months and it will be rewarding for the long term.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by