What do you use for scratch

kalaim

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
I bought some cracked corn for my new chicks, they are between 4-10 weeks old. But I also want to add something else to it.

If I'm going to the feed store, do I just buy oats or wheat made for horses?

Sorry, I'm a city girl!! They don't have a pre-packaged scratch mix at the pet store where I buy their feed!

4 to 10 week old chicks need to be on Start And Grow chick starter. you have give them a little scratch as a treat and supplement, but thier main diet at this point needs to be start and grow chick crumbles.

Scratch is considered a treat... not a feed.

Hopefully you are feeding them Starter or Start & Grow. You should continue them on that feed until they are about 20 weeks old or start to lay eggs. Then switch them to Layer feed.

Unfortunately I threw my bag that the scratch came in away so I can't read all the stuff they have in there. Mine has probably five to 10 different seeds and corn. I would suggest you call a local feed store and ask them to read you the ingredient list from a bag of scratch. That will give you your answer.

Yes, they are on the starter feed. I was just looking for a treat to scratch around for too.

Sorry, didn't mean to worry you!
smile.png

A chick needs & uses all of their nutrients for proper growth and development. They are too young to be having treats IMO and what you will end up with is a bunch of unthrifty chickens. Stick to a good nutritional diet for their first few months and it will be rewarding for the long term.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom