What do you use for your homemade thermostat and how reliable is it?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wolf-Kim, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Turning a refrigerator into an incubator and want to know what the best thermostat for it is, while staying in a reasonable price range.

Waferstats cost $15-20, but they have to be hand set.

ZooMed Repti-Temp 500R is the one a site I am using to help build my bator uses. He said it is very reliable, but he incubates reptiles. It's a $30 thermostat.

A digital thermostat would be wonderful, but I imagine these are pricey and I don't know anyone who uses them.

I would appreciate any help!!

-Kim

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Hmm... I had the original thermometer and wet bulb inside the chest cabinet. Until this hatch. I bought two accurites. One's regular, one's digital. Maybe that'd work for you? Buying both was about $16 I think.

Good luck and post lots of pix [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm using one of the waterheater thermostats that MissPrissy used in her Chic Chick Bator... $8 at lowes. I've been testing for a few hours in my mini cooler bator and still trying to get it right, but others have had good success.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I use the $8.00 hot water heater thermostat from Lowes. It takes a bit of adjusting and the temp is going to swing a bit....but, if you use a water wiggler with a probe thermometer you will find that the internal temp of the egg doesn't swing more than 1 degree. My temp goes between 95 and 102 but the water wiggler stays 99-100 most of the time.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I tried the hot water thermostat and ruined a lot of eggs. I dont have a Lowes here.Then I bought a brand new wafer for around $18 and had much better success.

6. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    I've had alot of success with the plug in reptile thermostats. One's on my LG right now. And I use it on my home made incubator (that isn't in commission right now).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by