What do you use in Your Coop?

I have about 4" of pine shavings in each house. I go through every 3 days, stir it up, and remove any large clumps. Keeps everything dry and no smell. I change the shavings about every 6 months or sooner if nessecary.

Matt

We are going to use pine shavings on top with sawdust on the bottom. I can't use straw after I seen the post about the surgery on the hen in the Emergencies/injuries forum. Check it out if you haven't already and you'll see why.

well i actually posted this thread but didnt know my gf was still loged in here, lol. I never knew to use pine shaving for the coop, I hope its not to expensive, I have yard clippings in there right now. Maybe a weekend project

Yard clippings are probably just fine; I can't imagine any problems as long as there are no chemicals on your lawn. I use bales of pine shavings, but ours have some cedar mixed in for smell. It is $6 for a bale that lasts maybe three changes and composts quite nicely when it gets yucky. I change it out completely every three weeks or so, stir a few tiems a week, and toss on a fresh layer every week or so.

Back
Top Bottom