What do you use in Your Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by reddchick07, Apr 22, 2008.

1. reddchick07

reddchick07 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Hardin County, KY
    I was wondering what everyone used to put down in your coop, as in straw, hay, wood shavings, ect..

2. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I use pine shavings in my coop.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have about 4" of pine shavings in each house. I go through every 3 days, stir it up, and remove any large clumps. Keeps everything dry and no smell. I change the shavings about every 6 months or sooner if nessecary.

Matt

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have a thick layer of hay and 10+ inches of pine shavings over it.

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

3 to 4 inches of pine shavings. The chickens do a good job of keeping them stirred up by scratching around in them.

6. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    We are going to use pine shavings on top with sawdust on the bottom. I can't use straw after I seen the post about the surgery on the hen in the Emergencies/injuries forum. Check it out if you haven't already and you'll see why.

7. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I use pine shavings

8. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I use 3 inches of Pine Shavings BUT I clean a lot more often than the average person may because I want to keep my silkies in Show Condition. COSTS A FORTUNE..

9. Dewey101

Dewey101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Elizabethtown,KY
    well i actually posted this thread but didnt know my gf was still loged in here, lol. I never knew to use pine shaving for the coop, I hope its not to expensive, I have yard clippings in there right now. Maybe a weekend project

10. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Yard clippings are probably just fine; I can't imagine any problems as long as there are no chemicals on your lawn. I use bales of pine shavings, but ours have some cedar mixed in for smell. It is $6 for a bale that lasts maybe three changes and composts quite nicely when it gets yucky. I change it out completely every three weeks or so, stir a few tiems a week, and toss on a fresh layer every week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by