What do you use on the floor of your coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fushalilly, Mar 20, 2008.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Ive got a small coop for three hens. I use to use hay for the floor bedding, but it is expensive and not easy to clean. What do you recomend?

2. chickachickawhat

chickachickawhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    shaving is the best way to go

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    best advice is straw (hay) pine not cedar shaving and I dont know waht else lol

4. GrayCavalry

GrayCavalry New Egg

Mar 11, 2008
    Apex, NC
    Why not cedar?

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I use a piece of roll roofing shingle stuff-- It has embedded gravel for good hen foot traction & I just drag it out and hose it--- or if I'm too lazy or worn out for that I keep a couple extras to exchange til I have some energy. . . .

6. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Definitely shavings. You can find it free in a lot of places, saw mills, etc.

Cedar can be toxic to small animals including chickens.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We covered the floor in our playhouse coop with a linoleum remnant (for easy cleaning) and then added pine shavings for the litter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Dawn

8. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:Me to!!! The linoleum protects the wood and makes it so easy to clean. I also use pine shavings, but one of chickens (Psycho) has a habit of scratching the straw out of the nest boxes, so I usually end up with a combo of pine shavings & straw before time to clean it out.

9. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Quote:The oil in cedar has been known to kill chicks. it causes respiratory problems

10. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Smitty's Farm :

Me to!!! The linoleum protects the wood and makes it so easy to clean. I also use pine shavings, but one of chickens (Psycho) has a habit of scratching the straw out of the nest boxes, so I usually end up with a combo of pine shavings & straw before time to clean it out.

Smitty,

Our girls love to dust bathe in the coop litter so we end up with shavings in the nest boxes. I tell everyone that they decided I didn't do a good job with their hay and they do it to pad the eggs better. The looks on their faces is worth it![​IMG]

Dawn​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by