What do you use to entertain your chickens in your run?

We put a large piece of driftwood in our run. The ladies love to climb on it.

But the most fun we've seen them having was chasing pill bugs. I had turned over a piece of wood and discovered tons of them crawling on the underside. I used a little broom to brush them off the wood and into the run. Now I have several pieces of plywood laying flat on the ground beside my shed so we can harvest pill bugs several times a week.

Quote:
Hi Ihave to ask what is a pill bug? Could you take a picture please? The most i have found under logs is ants
sad.png
Scotty

Quote:
They are messy little creatures, aren't they?? I swear they do party in there when we aren't looking.

Would you believe, that feeder and waterer are meant for BABY PIGS??? According to Farm and Fleet labels, anyway. I always said my chickens ate like pigs, so why not?

I was also frustrated that the chicken waterers available are 1 quart and 5 gallon with no size in between. The waterer you see in the photo is 1 gallon. We put pebbles in the bottom of the tray so the water wouldn't be too deep and risk the silly birds drowning themselves. The waterer and feeder come with the metal mount you see in the photo. We love them - worked out beautifully.

Katherine

Quote:
They're called 'roly-polys' in some parts. Little grey bugs with a hard shell that curl up into a ball when disturbed. We called 'em pill bugs where I grew up, but I hear them called roly-polys too...

I made my chickens a teeter-tooter with a sheet of plywood and a railroad tie....they love to sit on it and everytime a chicken crosses it .....they get to go for an up and down
lau.gif
ride!!
It is hilarious to watch! I also hang treats for them to peck at...broccoli, califlower, cabbabe, etc...keeps them happy, I think!
clap.gif
yippiechickie.gif
bun.gif

Quote:
They're called 'roly-polys' in some parts. Little grey bugs with a hard shell that curl up into a ball when disturbed. We called 'em pill bugs where I grew up, but I hear them called roly-polys too...

I've heard them called potato bugs too.

My son and I built what looks like a saw horse with upright boards added on each end with cross members across to kind of look like a jungle gym. We then added some pieces that they could jump from one position to face the other position. They love it and are entertaining to watch.

We generally buy canned corn for the table but I'll also get it on the cob sometimes so I can put the leftover cob in the pen. I cut them in 1/2 or 1/4 pieces so there's enough to go around. I'm thinking of hanging some with an eyebolt to see how they do with that.

Back
Top Bottom