What do you use to feed treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ufgrad98, Aug 29, 2011.

1. ufgrad98

ufgrad98 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    I want to start giving my chickens treats (left over foods from the dinner table we didn't eat) but I don't know what to put it in? Do you use a plate, bowl, or just throw it in the run on the ground?

2. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    YUP! Ours generally goes in the run on the ground unless it's sour milk or suchlike. Regards, Woody

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    It depends on what type of treats. If it is watermelon, cantelope fresh veggies and such I throw it on the ground. If it is scramble eggs or any kind of oatmeal or yogurt stuff like that it goes in the white bowl. They know the white bowl.[​IMG]

4. EncinoMan

EncinoMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Encino
    I like to keep scraps out of the run, so if they reject anything it doesn't sit there and rot. Anything dry goes right on a big flat paver that sits between the run and one of my composters. Wet stuff goes on a paper plate, normally one I've already used in the house for something. Anything the chickens leave gets tossed right into the composter, soggy plate and all.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I put everything on a rubber made lid. Then I can take the leftovers and toss them into my "lasagna garden" to be composted and rinse the lid off.

6. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    If not attacked for the treats (LOL) then I usually sit it down in the coop.

7. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I bought a Life is Good ceramic bowl that was on clearance.

[​IMG]

I like it because it's nice and big so they can all get their beaks in there. It doesn't tip over. Cleans up easy too.

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    pie tins work nicely also...for things such as hot oatmeal in the winter, or rice, pasta...

9. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I generally use a black rubber bowl for leftovers like soup, stew, and other liquid food. Most of the time treats and leftovers are thrown on the ground or on a paper plate.

10. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I leave a old 9 by 16 cake pan in the run for the messy treats. Watermelon goes on the ground. Bread and other non-messy stuff, they eat out of my hands [​IMG] .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by