What do you use to tell your chickens apart?

Pics
Hi!
I bought these little different colored rubber band type things to use for my 5 wk old pullets. But I noticed they peck at them... their own and the other girls too. So my question is, what do you use, if anything? And will they eventually stop pecking at each others legs? I dont want them to injure each other. For now I took them off.
Thanks!
I use mine’s faces to tell them apart.

Easy, all my girls are different! Hahah, not a challenge at all in my case

Attachments

• 676F2DBC-AA4B-45A8-AF68-5B9F45B9C3A9.jpeg
    676F2DBC-AA4B-45A8-AF68-5B9F45B9C3A9.jpeg
    649.4 KB · Views: 2
  • BD1CC0A2-F644-4933-BBEF-A5F1D37A5BF7.jpeg
    BD1CC0A2-F644-4933-BBEF-A5F1D37A5BF7.jpeg
    849.1 KB · Views: 2
I use bands I have multiple of the same breeds so if in doubt I can look at their legs but usually I can tell. I only have 11 right now. Pecking at the bands stopped in a few days.

I can often tell chickens apart by appearance, especially after they finish growing up. Even when they are the same breed, there might be one hen with skinnier points on her comb, another with wider points, another with a comb that slightly flops, feather color might be lighter or darker, patterns in the feathers might be a bit different, and so forth.

For telling apart two chickens that look the same, I like to cut some of the tail feathers shorter on one of the two. (The feathers need to be cut again every time the chicken molts, so it happens frequently as the chicks grow. Adults only need re-trimming once a year.)

I think a chicken looks a bit ugly with the feathers on the tail cut short, but I like that I do not have to change legbands as the chicken grows. If I forget to trim the feathers, I lose the identifier, but the chicken is not injured. If I forget to change legbands, the too-tight band can badly injure the chicken's leg.
Good idea!

Let bands! You can also do wing bands if you want. I do a ziptie with a plastic bead on it.
Some birds have markings I remember/ like Yawn is the largest and has a look to her. She also has a pink bead.
My Cochins-> one has a black toe nail.

Attachments

• F2ACA575-F755-4A0C-ADBB-27CD5152E7F0.jpeg
    F2ACA575-F755-4A0C-ADBB-27CD5152E7F0.jpeg
    768.2 KB · Views: 2
The shapes of their combs for one. Sometimes, just little tints in their feathers. Right now, I have a mixed flock, so who is who is pretty easy for me. :lol:

Just buy the way they look, the only birds of mine that look similar are all the white leghorn crosses.. however they have some small details that make em stand out, weather thats comb size, tail feathers, ect... there four that look very similar...so with a lot more birds it could get difficult. I only have four birds that look very similar to be a matter a fact.. my flock is quiet a mixed flock now so there is a few diff breeds.. the next generation of these birds is on the way..

Back
Top Bottom