What do you use to water your ducks?

featherfooted

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Georgia
I'm trying to think of a better way to water my ducks and chickens when they free roam in the backyard. I've been using old refrigerator crispers and rubber tubs, but the ducks get them dirty before I can finish filling them. Is there a better way so that they have clean water longer than 2 minutes?

Using a poultry water will help keep clean water available for any of them that want it, but the ducks do need a deep dish to dip their bills if they choose as well and it is basically inevitable that they will[i/] dirty that water, usually quickly.
roll.png
Keep in mind however that your chickens and ducks are livestock, not humans. Their standards of "clean, fresh water" does not match ours. As long as it's relatively fresh (e.g. you fill it daily) I really wouldn't worry about it.

I use several large poultry drinkers plus some normal bowls, plus 2 large tubs for paddling all in different places for my free-ranging ducks and chickens. Giving so many options reduces the amount of mud in each one. In the hope that the chickens can at least have a clean drink at the start of the day
wink.png
. The ducks forage in mud with their beaks and transfer half that mud into whatever is the closest source of water. It figures that they must eat a fair bit of mud, whether from the ground or in the water. I hope some of it does them some good!

It is always a losing battle trying to keep their water clean, I just try and improve the odds a bit by offering various different containers of water.

Thanks.
smile.png
They have pools to swim in and I do change the water twice a day so fresh water is not a problem. I guess I just hate seeing them drink dirty water even if they don't seem to mind.
sickbyc.gif

I use a concrete mixing tub I got for under 10.00 at home depot. I also use a 5 gallon pail in a homemade vacuum type waterer. Currently i have 16 mallards and you are SO right about the mud, lol.

Back
Top Bottom