What do you vaccinate your birds for? Can your birds be to old to vaccinate?

ohsocrazie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 12, 2010
Beecher, IL
We will be getting into doing more showing this year and I was wondering what diseases you vaccinates for? We usually vaccinate for marek's disease but that's it. We raise bantam ducks and chickens. Another question I have is what happens if I purchase an older bird that wasn't vaccinated for marek's disease is it to late to vaccinate?

I vaccinate for Mareks disease. And that's usually it . As for Mareks vaccine and older birds it's generally too late because it's likely they have already been exposed to the virus.it won't hurt them to vaccinate but it might not help if they have already been exposed. But you can still do it if you like. It's not going to hurt the bird. Hope this helps. Also when looking at giving other vaccines do your research well on the vaccine. Some are live vaccines that actually gives the bird a touch of what your vaccinating for and some vaccines will actually make the bird a carrier of that virus. Making them able to give the virus to non vaccinated birds.so research very carefully and in depth about which ever vaccine you decide to give then make your choices after research. I wish you the best and hope this helps.

Hi! We show our chickens, and I didn't want to bring any diseases back from any shows. I currently vaccinate for Marek's, Newcastle/Bronchitis, LT and just started vaccinating for coccidosis. I have had a very happy, healthy flock. It is expensive, but well worth it when dealing with show stock!

Back
Top Bottom