What do you want at a Chicken show?

Ryu

Songster
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
For those of you who do show can you rank the following by importance or your thoughts on these topics? I am trying to identify what is most important for you to feel like you had a good experience. And of course, no one wants to pay a show fee, but I'd like to have your thoughts.

We would love to provide every possible ammenity, but with a limited number of Association members and resources--I want to know what's most important to those who show.

Building:
Lighting
Flooring (cement vs. arena dirt)
In one building or two adjacent buildings
Double stacking vs aisle width

Show entries and Awards:
Champion Row (having one vs not)
Trophies (Trophys, Rosettes, Photograph vs Cash)
Entry Fees
Paying a small show fee ($2.00 to help club defray cost of set up and tear down)
Capping of number of entries (If you enter late, your entry might be returned to you if the allotted coops are full)
Capping number of sale coops per exhibitor
Only allowing sale coops for those who exhibit
Breed meet type, Special vs District vs State
Junior Program

Extras:
Hot food
Seating for socializing
Lectures or talks
A booth to photograph birds
Raffle and/or auction
Banquet
Vendor Booths

Let fly. Answer some or all, I just need feedback. Thanks!

Building

2. Lighting - plenty!!
13. Flooring (cement vs. arena dirt) - doesn't matter to me; cement is nice because it keeps the dust down
1. In one building or two adjacent buildings (poultry in one building; waterfowl in another...can't take those call ducks all day
big_smile.png
)
10. Double stacking vs aisle width - don't care

Show entries and awards

7. Champion Row (having one vs not) - nice, but not necessary
9. Trophies (Trophys, Rosettes, Photograph vs Cash) - Prefer ribbons, rosettes, trophies. Cash is usually minimal and for folks who sell, the ribbons/trophies look great in pics
8. Entry Fees - Everybody has to pay them. A couple of bucks per bird is NOT too much!!
3. Paying a small show fee ($2.00 to help club defray cost of set up and tear down) - Yes...don't mind at all
4. Capping of number of entries (If you enter late, your entry might be returned to you if the allotted coops are full) - Yes. First come, first serve and set a reasonable cap
5. Capping number of sale coops per exhibitor - Sale coops should be in a different building or at least at the back of the main building. Folks should bring their own coops.
6. Only allowing sale coops for those who exhibit - HMMMMM....perhaps limit sales coops for non-exhibitors to outside in the parking area
11. Breed meet type, Special vs District vs State - LF vs. bantam ok...otherwise, don't care
12. Junior Program - nice option for all the kids showing

Extras

16. Hot food - always nice, but if building is near restaurants, not necessary
17. Seating for socializing - Great idea and definitely used this at a couple of shows.
18. Lectures or talks - not so much
14. A booth to photograph birds - I really love this!! I forgot to use it as the last show, but will definitely use it next time. This should be in the top 5 for me.
19. Raffle and/or auction - nice
20. Banquet - not necessary IMO; not always well attended; a bit stuffy...maybe a good ol' hoedown cookout the night before; nice and casual with plenty of alcohol
big_smile.png

15. Vendor Booths - YES...plenty...especially poultry supplies. Vendors bring items that are difficult to locate locally. This should also be in the top 10 for me.

Building:
Lighting I like lots o' lighing
Flooring (cement vs. arena dirt)cement in the warmer months so the sandal wearers don't get dirt in their shoes, not so important when it's cold
In one building or two adjacent buildingsI don't want to miss anything, so I like one building
Double stacking vs aisle widthnot too important, but I don't like to see varieties split up. For example, one white Cochin in the next aisle when the rest of them are around the corner. It makes the displaced one seem like an afterthought.

Show entries and Awards:
Champion Row (having one vs not)I show Seramas, so I've never won. No opinions yet.
Trophies (Trophys, Rosettes, Photograph vs Cash)see above. If I ever would win, I'd like ribbons over trophies, because they're easier to store/display.
Entry Fees
Paying a small show fee ($2.00 to help club defray cost of set up and tear down)be happy to help out in that respect
Capping of number of entries (If you enter late, your entry might be returned to you if the allotted coops are full)I don't like late entries
Capping number of sale coops per exhibitorI'd offer however many you have space for
Only allowing sale coops for those who exhibitexhibitors only indoors in coops, everyone else gets outdoor "flea market" style space
Breed meet type, Special vs District vs Statewill attract more competition/entries
Junior Programseems to be the norm, but I don't see why the quality of birds should be different. If you don't have the resources for a jr. class, I think it would be an honor for kids to say they won in an open class!

Extras:
Hot food I usually bring my own snacks, but coffee is important!
Seating for socializingleather sofas and ottomans would be appreciated, please
lol.png

Lectures or talksmaybe a genetics lecture for people interested on improving their flock
A booth to photograph birdsI already have pics of my own birds, but I doubt if strangers will allow me to walk around with their entries
Raffle and/or auction I always support raffles. You can count on me for $20 worth of tickets every time!
Banquetas above, I bring my own food
Vendor Boothslove 'em!

Last edited:
Im new to showing, but here are my answers.

Building:
Lighting - Lots of lighting so you can actually see the birds clearly.
Flooring (cement vs. arena dirt) Prefer Cement flooring
In one building or two adjacent buildings Doesn't matter to me.
Double stacking vs aisle width Double stacking is fine with me

Show entries and Awards:
Champion Row (having one vs not) nice to have all the birds in one spot so its easy to find the champions.
Trophies (Trophys, Rosettes, Photograph vs Cash) Would prefer Trophys, Rossettes, and Ribbons. Photographs would be nice also. Cash is always nice, but I would rather have something like a ribbon or rosette that I can save.
Entry Fees
Paying a small show fee ($2.00 to help club defray cost of set up and tear down) That'd be fine with me.
Capping of number of entries (If you enter late, your entry might be returned to you if the allotted coops are full) If your late and the coops are full, thats your problem for being late. Leave extra early
smile.png

Capping number of sale coops per exhibitor I like what catwalk said, exhibitors getting inside sale coops and non-exhibitors getting outside sale space.
Only allowing sale coops for those who exhibit Not sure on this one.
Breed meet type, Special vs District vs State Doesn't matter to me.
Junior Program I think its a great option for the kids that are showing.

Extras:
Hot food I usually bring my own stuff or go out to a small diner or something during judging.
Seating for socializing Doesn't matter to me. Standings fine.
Lectures or talks Like that.
A booth to photograph birds That would be great. I would love to have one of those at the shows I go to.
Raffle and/or auction I think that's a great/fun thing to have.
Banquet Don't care too much about that.
Vendor Booths Love them.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks eveyone, this is really helping.

Bathrooms are important too...

Anthing else any one this of is great.

Building:
Lighting- good lighting is a must!
Flooring (cement vs. arena dirt) - I've shown on both, and I agree that concrete is nice in the summer! LOL!
In one building or two adjacent buildings - I think one building, just for convenience!
Double stacking vs aisle width - I prefer single stacked, sometimes the smaller birds get lost if they are on bottom. Overall, it doesn't really matter, and isn't feasible for a large show.

Show entries and Awards:
Champion Row (having one vs not) - ehh...don't really care about that. The judges around here move them around if they want to.
Trophies (Trophys, Rosettes, Photograph vs Cash)-our shows do ribbons and cash, trophies and plaques in lieu of cash. Great for the adults, but my kids want cash and ribbons! LOL!
Entry Fees
Paying a small show fee ($2.00 to help club defray cost of set up and tear down)-the free fairs are nice, but a small fee is fine!
Capping of number of entries (If you enter late, your entry might be returned to you if the allotted coops are full)-definitely!
Capping number of sale coops per exhibitor - I think if they are selling, they should bring their own cages. Maybe have a sale area, like someone else mentioned. Or, if the show birds are for sale, maybe have a special tag stating that?
Only allowing sale coops for those who exhibit - If they are selling, they should provide their own cages.
Breed meet type, Special vs District vs State - It would depend on what hoops you would have to jump through to be qualified for the different types.
Junior Program-definitely! Our Jrs aren't DQ if their birds aren't great. The judges take the time to talk with them about their breeds and tell them good and bad things to look for in their birds.

Extras:
Hot food- nice!
Seating for socializing - great idea!
Lectures or talks - I would worry about this cutting into the overhead. If you can get someone for free...?
A booth to photograph birds - that would be great
Raffle and/or auction - ours does both.
Banquet - I agree that a banquet might be too formal, but a cookout or chili night might be good.
Vendor Booths - definitely!

I agree on the bathrooms!

Great ideas!

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom