What do you wish you had known before you got your chickens

Know what chicken math is and plan for it. I had to extend my coop a couple of times. Plan for a rooster even if you don't want one. Some one will give you one because they "have too many" and most likely one of those girls you bought will turn into one.

If/when getting new chickens or coop, always treat for mites. Something that I failed to do in both new chickens and coop was that. It is a lot more work unless you don't do so at the very beginning. But seriously though, just don't get a used coop in the first place and you won't have to worry about the majority of the problem.

That chickens with feathered feet are walking dirt mops and bumblefoot magnets

That "chickens will eat anything" is a lie (after buying very expensive raspberries for a treat that was refused)

Understanding that just because they are "only chickens" doesn't mean your heart won't break when one dies

I am still new to the chicken game but:

1. Assume that any pullets you buy may surprise you and become roosters, so either plan on keeping some or find a way to re-home them.

2. Do NOT underestimate disease and always isolate. I did not isolate because I thought it was too much of a precaution, and I was wrong and had to cull an entire flock. I learned the hard way.

3. Isolate correctly- not one flock next to another. IB travels via air and travels very far.

4. Plan on the fact that your run will most likely never have grass again while you keep chickens there.

5. Put up netting, even if you have not had problems with hawks before. I had two chicks taken, and I live in an area with very little hawks/ falcons/ etc.

That chickens with feathered feet are walking dirt mops and bumblefoot magnets

That "chickens will eat anything" is a lie (after buying very expensive raspberries for a treat that was refused)

Understanding that just because they are "only chickens" doesn't mean your heart won't break when one dies
YES YES YES.

I would treat them more often than not; but as a rule, I keep DE powder in their dust baths and about once every two months (or even less) spray them with garlic water solution which helps to rid them of mites. Hope that helps :)

Build a coop you can gain easy access to every part of without twisting and turning your body to reach certin areas. And build a run that is tall enough for you to stand in so it's easier to clean.

That you're not supposed to open the bator until all the babies are hatched and fluffed up. I never did "lockdown" and opened several times to take wet babies out of the bator and put them in the brooder. :eek: Yikes! I was a bad chicken mom!

Build a coop you can gain easy access to every part of without twisting and turning your body to reach certin areas. And build a run that is tall enough for you to stand in so it's easier to clean.
YES!!!! My coop is cute but a total PITA to get in and out of!

Back
Top Bottom