What do your chickens do in the snow?

It didn't stick on the ground but on Monday, while I was at work, it was snowing big flakes for a couple hours.

It was my husband's day off and he reported that all the chickens stayed under cover either in the coop or in the brooder (which is sitting in the run and which I leave open to give the chickens shelter options), except for the "rooster" (7-month cockerel), who was either watching the strange phenomenon to make sure it wasn't dangerous or was just too dumb to come in out of the snow.

;)
No way! The weather said flurries where we live, but I don’t think we got any. But yay for you!

No way! The weather said flurries where we live, but I don’t think we got any. But yay for you!

I was at work indoors in the grocery store but my customers kept telling me it was snowing.

On bad-weather days in the winter I always recommend hot chocolate to people who have bought a sandwich or a fried chicken plate. :D

I was wondering what peoples chickens do in the snow. Mine HATE it, and my three top hens (in the pecking order) always go to the top of a swing set I have in my backyard. A pic of them doing so is pictured below. Do yours stay in the coop? Do they go outside? I forgot to mention, mine stay in the coop but at 10:00-12:00 a.m. I kick them out.
View attachment 2950078
Mine are still confused about snow.
They came outside as usual the first snowy day, looked around, then glanced up at me as if to ask "what have you done to our beautiful yard, human?"
They will walk around in it and even eat it, but most of my birds are really young and this is their first snow.

Back
Top Bottom