What do your chickens eat for breakfast?

Mine get "golden layena" for breakfast but they get lettuce, cabbage, raisins, peanuts, sunflower seeds, musk mellon, and/or egg shells as a treat in the afternoon, and occasionally, milk - in the winter, when they are coop-bound. I'm definitely going to try them on oatmeal!

Left overs... Some Romain, a tomato slice, grapes... gave them the ends of the asparagus but they were NOT digging that. SO... Meat or no meat???? I've heard different things. Can I give them left over bits? How much is too much? Have never given them oatmeal. It's 90 today in Los Angeles!

BOSS,mixed bird seed,flock block,layer pellets,mixed fruit,tomatoes and a bit of cauliflower....tomorrow is leftover pizza
big_smile.png

Cooked oatmeal? I'm gonna give that a shot since it's supposed to be around zero degrees for the next couple of days.
They always have their layer feed available to them. When they're let out in the morning they get their mixed bird seed with extra BOSS added to it by me. Then late morning they get their carbs...dried bread, biscuits, whatever else is floating around the kitchen. In the early afternoon they get their veggies which is chopped up fresh spinach usually, lots of fresh tomatoes in the summer. Then late afternoon is raisins...I add some chopped peanuts to it 3 or 4 days a week.
Extra special treats are dried mealworms, walnuts, blueberries, and Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Cereal plain out of the bag, not cooked.
I just noticed right before I posted that you have a treat chart...I'm gonna check that out right now.
smile.png

So fun to hear about your "chicken breakfasts!" You gave us some new ideas for add-ins to our oatmeal, too. We were down below zero last night so it was an oatmeal morning today
smile.png

In the warmer months, our chickens love it when the kids serve them crickets and worms they find (unfortunately not possible now when the ground is frozen solid). We've given them whole pumpkins, too....we just crack it open and leave it in their run for an all day snack.

I made mine oatmeal with raisins for lunch today. Served warm. They were a bit suspicious at first but it didn't take long before the oatmeal was flying and the ladies were all talking with their mouths full. I think I enjoyed just as much as they did!!
tongue.png

I don't usually give them a special meal, except when I have leftovers. I think I'll start making extra oatmeal, add raisins to their portion (and mine ... my kid hates raisins) and add whatever else I have too. That's a good idea.

I do sometimes, when it's really cold out, make them pancakes! Unbleached flour, ground eggshells, ground alfalfa pellets, ground flax seeds, egg, powdered milk, garlic, parsley. They prefer the pancakes very well done OR very under-done and gooey. Haven't made any in a week or two.

Make a similar version for my goats (minus the eggshell).

PANCAKES?!?!?!?!

& here I thought I was spoiling my girls with oatmeal....

Every morning they get oatmeal with scrambled eggs (as long as I have surplus eggs) & plain yogurt.
Sometimes raisins (= Chicken Crack) sprinkled on top.
I make the oatmeal in the microwave - 2 minutes 20 seconds for a big bowlful.
The raw eggs, complete with shells, get mixed in with some water & scramble themselves as the oatmeal cooks. Yogurt gets added to cool it down some.

They all recognize the bowl I use for the oatmeal & discussion starts as soon as I open the coop door, with the hens on the roost nearest the door snatching a mouthful before I put the bowl down.

Since I'm at work all day, they get an evening treat of whatever veggie or fruit trimmings I have leftover from last night's dinner.
If I don't have anything to share I might cut up an apple from the horses' stash.

Last edited:
The last couple of cold mornings I gave them some warmed (with hot water) alfalfa pellets. They weren't sure about them the first day so I sprinkled them with cracked corn. They looked forward to them today. I was hoping these bright green greens would make for a more nutritious egg and make the yolk more golden. Anyone know if there are indeed positive health benefits to these cooked greens?

Back
Top Bottom