What do your chickens eat for breakfast?

This morning my adult girls had leftover taco salad, with a sprinkling of cat food on top.

Taco salad is their second favorite leftover; spaghetti being their #1 favorite.

In the am mine get a mix of half BOSS and scratch. In the pm they get whatever I have left over. Meatloaf, tuna, taters, veggies. If I don't have left overs. Scrambled eggs plain or mixed with cooked rice, soaked alfalfa pellets, oatmeal, soaked cat food (a favorite). To night they got well rinsed boiled peanuts
droolin.gif
that I picked up at a roadside stand on the way back from town. The hens loved them, the new roo (who's still in quarentine) not so much.
sickbyc.gif

My hens have several hours to eat their well-balanced, 16% protein layer crumbles. When they put their napkins on the table, gather at the water cooler and are ready for egg laying and resting, then in comes the exciting person with different treats each day. There is carrot time, cabbage ball, tear the kale game, who can find sunflower seeds behind the stump, etc. The exciting person will cook oatmeal tomorrow as suggested by previous writers just for the fun of seeing them all atwitter.

A lot of creative people out there. Most mornings it is laying pellets. These days, my most out going Deleware hen takes the flock right up to me to ask for more. So, it is sometimes a little bit of scratch as a treat with rasins and sunflower seeds. They like cooked Quinoa!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Mama to: 1 Deleware, 3 Ameraucanas, 1OE Bantam, 1BC Maran, 1 Black Silkie, 1 Service Dog, 2 Pet Dogs, 1 Parrot, A LOT of Lizards, THE SNAKES, and 1 VERY understanding DH!

I gave them the warm, cooked oatmeal yesterday and boy, was that a hit!
I'll add raisins to it today and I was thinking about maybe adding cooked egg like some of you do. I never would've thought to feed them eggs....seems weird to me for some reason?
Clearly I have much to learn.

Quote:
I feed mine alfalfa leaves every morning and the greens do indeed help to keep the yolks nice and orange. They love those leaves!

Quote:
Too Funny Gingerpeach! I got a good laugh out of your post! I'm off to make oatmeal... I should make something for my kids too....

This morning warm oatmeal and turnip greens. My local save a lot store sells no salt added canned turnip and mustard greens, they go nuts for it!

Plain Greek Yogurt with their crumbles, and some wheat bread, grapes, and romaine lettuce. Out of all I've tried so far, those are all the things they like. Tried warm cream of wheat, raisins, cat food, cracker crumbs, tomatoes, and BOSS and they don't like any of that! I guess I have weird girls?

Back
Top Bottom