What do your chickens smell like?

ChickenFootRnch

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 21, 2012
East TN
Ok, now that I have your attention!

I was wondering if any one else has noticed what their chickens smell like?

I was holding one of favorite sweet hens the other day, and smelled corn flakes! So I did what any chicken owner would do, I sniffed my hens neck and yep, she smelled like corn flakes. So then I proceeded to gather more chickens, along with my two girls, and sniff sniff, the majority of them were corney. The one's that were not corn flavored, smelled like rice. I guess my hen are happy and healthy and need no purfume. Wish I could say the same for my pigs. HA HA

Look forward to hearing back from this one!

pop.gif
wee.gif

The REAL question is, given your user ID, what do their FEET smell like?
hu.gif

(I can't say I've ever made an effort to smell my chickens...next time I am treating them, I most certainly will, though.)

They do have a smell, though I can't really describe what it's like. It is a pleasant smell, which I guess I've just thought of as a smell of nature, light and pleasant sort of like grasses or hay.

This just made my day.
lol.png

In all seriousness, though, I like the way my chickens smell. I don't, however, intentionally sniff them. x] I just smell them when I give them their morning hugs.
Interesting though that yours remind you of corn flakes. :p

Some of mine smelled like corn too. And I had one that smelled a bit bad. A bit like sour milk. Not surprisingly he was called "Stinky"

My chickens smell like....... my chickens!!! But, one of them takes on a new smell every day. One day she smells like bananas (which I never give them) and the nest day she smells like oranges......... and sometimes they smell like their poop.
tongue.png

I am seriously LOL after reading this.

To little farmer, banana's and oranges I wonder if that is a genetic trait from a jungle fowl.

Malibu, bacon chicken I like it!

Sumi, sour milk huh, that's a interesting smell for a chicken.

I will be in coop soon and have to sniff for more exotic aroma's on my hens. may have to do breed vs smell comparison.

yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom