What do your chickens smell like?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenFootRnch, Nov 9, 2012.

1. ChickenFootRnch

ChickenFootRnch In the Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    East TN
    Ok, now that I have your attention!

I was wondering if any one else has noticed what their chickens smell like?

I was holding one of favorite sweet hens the other day, and smelled corn flakes! So I did what any chicken owner would do, I sniffed my hens neck and yep, she smelled like corn flakes. So then I proceeded to gather more chickens, along with my two girls, and sniff sniff, the majority of them were corney. The one's that were not corn flavored, smelled like rice. I guess my hen are happy and healthy and need no purfume. Wish I could say the same for my pigs. HA HA

Look forward to hearing back from this one!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    The REAL question is, given your user ID, what do their FEET smell like? [​IMG]

(I can't say I've ever made an effort to smell my chickens...next time I am treating them, I most certainly will, though.)

3. fiddleblue

fiddleblue Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    They do have a smell, though I can't really describe what it's like. It is a pleasant smell, which I guess I've just thought of as a smell of nature, light and pleasant sort of like grasses or hay.

4. ChickenFootRnch

Oct 21, 2012
    East TN
    I have yet to "sniff" their feet, Pretty sure I dont want to. LOL

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Crowing Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    This just made my day. [​IMG]

In all seriousness, though, I like the way my chickens smell. I don't, however, intentionally sniff them. x] I just smell them when I give them their morning hugs.
    Interesting though that yours remind you of corn flakes. :p

6. Malibu99

Malibu99 Crowing

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    One of mine (I forget which; I think my BR) smells like bacon. I have no idea why. o-o All the rest smell like chicken food and herbs.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  7. Lolachick07

Lolachick07 In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I never thought of this![​IMG] I wonder what my chickens smell like... well, only one way to find out I guess!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Some of mine smelled like corn too. And I had one that smelled a bit bad. A bit like sour milk. Not surprisingly he was called "Stinky"

9. My chickens smell like....... my chickens!!! But, one of them takes on a new smell every day. One day she smells like bananas (which I never give them) and the nest day she smells like oranges......... and sometimes they smell like their poop. [​IMG]

10. ChickenFootRnch

Oct 21, 2012
    East TN
    I am seriously LOL after reading this.

To little farmer, banana's and oranges I wonder if that is a genetic trait from a jungle fowl.

Malibu, bacon chicken I like it!

Sumi, sour milk huh, that's a interesting smell for a chicken.

I will be in coop soon and have to sniff for more exotic aroma's on my hens. may have to do breed vs smell comparison.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by