What do your ensting boxes look like? Updated w/ pic.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Frenzie, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Well, we used to have wooden crates, they only liked the enclosed one.. so we upgrated to something WAY better & bigger!

We have this liek shelve thing..
    It's mmmm... like those storage things, you know how it's liek a sorter.. they absolutly love it! It's like boxed stacked on top of each other.. but connected.. we have like 20 and 7 hens 1 pullet and a rooster.. but they love it and it's so fun searching for eggs! What do yours look like ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I have 3 different types, one I don't have pictures of one of them and they don't even use it. But here are pictures of the other two types:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They like the ones in the first pictures and yes there is cats in them in the picture. [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I borrowed this photo from a BYCer's page because I think it's perfect for a lot of chickens. Someday I will have a coop large enough to utilize this method.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    I love my covered kitty litter box boecuse I can easily pick it up to remove eggs...very light wt for moving a broody hen too.

5. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Quote:Oh I like that idea!!!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Now if only my broody would choose the litter box or plastic bin instead of the nailed down ones.... I agree this is VERY handy; they can abandon a nest in a heartbeat if you move them.

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We use several different kinds, this is an old comercial nest box in our grow out coop [​IMG] and this one is a corner bookshelf, turned on it's side and we added a perch in front to make it easier for the hens to enter [​IMG] we also use old milk crates, wooden boxes and a few we custom made, just don't have pictures of them on this computer.

8. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    I have 2 old litter boxes, 1 tote with a hole cut in the side and a community nest box above out grain tote storage. I only have a pic of the one box right now.
    [​IMG]

9. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

I shelf mounted eight of the large cat litter square buckets, just short of waist high (for me) & spray painted the insides black for thier little privacy. All of them are w/the narrowest side down for head room, & in a single line against the wall. Today is 20 weeks & two days-so I'm waiting to see something else besides golf balls in the nests. I have an 8" board in front ot the nest for easy in/out. A 2" lip in front of the buckets helps hold the wood chips in. This waiting is B_O_R_I_N_ G!!!!! [​IMG]

10. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I have 19 hens...they usually use 2, sometimes 3 boxes. I have it so that the kids could collect eggs without risking letting the chickens out or the dogs in. I still love collecting eggs!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by