What do Yours Eat?

So far mine really like watermelon and cucumbers. They seem to love cilantro over any other herb I’ve given them. They enjoy lettuce and broccoli leaves. They don’t seem too keen on cabbage or carrots. Peas and corn which I give frozen to help cook them down they like a bit but not crazy over it. Pasta is a favorite I don’t give too much but they seem to really enjoy when I do. They also like berries and marigolds

Normal Feed: Nutrena Naturewise 20% All Flock Pellets, & Purina Flock Raiser.

Seasonal Feed: 22% Meatbird Feed mixed in for those we'll be butchering, like the Turkeys we have for Thanksgiving every year.

Meat Bird Finishing: I up the fat content for juicy birds, I mix either scratch, or corn into feed, & will add a flock Block to the yard. Who doesn't like a juicy roasted Turkey for Thanksgiving dinner?

Seasonal Treats, for the chickens:

Flock Blocks, 1 per yard only 2 months in the fall, & 1 in the winter as a boredom buster.

Harvest treats: Corn on the cob, pumpkins, & leafy greens.

Summer treats: Lettuce, Spinach, or Watermelon.

Normal treats given on occasion is bags of flock Party mixes from TSC.

All of the treats listed, are given within months apart, or once every other week. I don't fatten my birds up, unless they're getting eaten.

I wish ours did that. Our broody might attack it if she saw it close enough, but definitely not eat it.

I have 3 enemies.
Chipmunks
Squirrels
Mice

I am a all around animal lover, i care for animals with all my heart and would never hurt one, but if i see one of these i would have absolutely no problem getting a flaming pitchfork and holding them above the BBQ.

Its aggressive, yes, but they deserve endless suffering.
I feel the same about squirrels. I got tired of them stealing my wild bird seed. They would run up the hanger and lay on top scooping the feed out. So I got creative (see pic). The lazy little beggars don't even eat the feed that drops on the ground, but the chickens love it!

Last week I saw one run across the top of the run. When I went inside I found out it was chewing its way into a feeder. Found the hole in the roof and put new wore on top, has not been a problem since.

Attachments

• 20220806_100701.jpg
    20220806_100701.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
My chickens go crazy for raisins. They recognize the container and try to jump up and take the raisins out of my hand. If I do put a handful out they’re usually eaten in about three seconds. It’s like a machine gun hitting your hand. I suggest not letting them sit on you after giving them treats. I have been pooped on multiple times.

Back
Top Bottom