What does a black BLR Wyandotte look like?

Kelpie

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Charles Town, WV
And would you use them in breeding (ie to splash)? I see many pics of blues and splash but nothing I'd call black even though in theory breeders should have as many blacks as splashes from blue x blue matings. Do they get culled? Thanks I'm just getting into the breed and want to find out as much as I can.

I have seen pics of black laced red wyandottes that are from BLRW programs and yes, they do use them with the splash to get blue. The breeder only kept the richest, mahogany colored reds and showed examples of birds they removed from their flock for too light of color on the red part of the feathers. It was a really informative site, but I don't know where I saw it. Sorry. but yeah, I would keep the black laced ones if they are exceptionally good in all other areas, for sure.

This is my only black laced red:

black_laced_red02.jpg

black_laced_red01.jpg

Supposedly, any black laced reds resulting will have poor lacing compared to blue or splash, but my one girl has come out with lacing better than any of them. I was told to cull any offspring this color, but because her lacing is so nice, I put her in with a splash (light) roo, so any offspring between the two will be blue.

What you will want to do to avoid getting any black laced is to either of these options:

1. a light roo in with all dark (blue) hens
2. a dark roo in with all light hens

IF, for some reason you have a black laced roo and don't want any black laced offspring, put him in with ONLY light hens.

IF, you happen to have a black laced hen, put her in with only a light roo.

What you have are Gold Laced Wyandottes, mated to a Splash laced Red you will get all Blue Laced Red chicks. If the lacing is good on both parents you are likely to have the same in the chicks. The gold/red base colour can vary from light gold to dark red, select the colour you want, dark for Blue Laced Reds & light for Blue Laced Golds.
David

Mine aren't gold laced, but blue laced. She was the result of a dark roo on a dark hen. The difference between gold laced and blue laced is the mahogany gene. The camera didn't quite catch the true depth of her red coloring.

Stacey, that hen is a beauty! Thank you for explaining the BLR recipe. I'd love to see more pictures of blacks and BLRs in general. I'm still trying to learn what Wyandotte conformation should look like.

Back
Top Bottom