What does a constipated duck look like?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jazzyfizzle, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jazzyfizzle

jazzyfizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Northern Ohio
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone would want to give us advice. Our new call was having an issue - it is difficult to explain, but a few days ago she started pointing her rump/tail toward the ground.
    Today it seems have went back upward somewhat and I noticed a couple feces in something of a soft pellet form? Could she be constipated?
    I am feeding the only feed available in our town- Manna Pro for gamebirds, it says 24%. Is this too much protein?
    I posted in the illness section, but not getting any responses. [​IMG]

Thank you

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I feed my ducks feed that's about 16% protien.

24% does sound a little high but im no expert.

I've only had 1 duck thats ever been 'backed up'. it was due to feed problems. she got Very lethargic & quit eating & drinking on the second day... she only lasted a few days, but she was also a baby (about 2 weeks old).

i hope someone else jumps on here for some better help. good luck with your girl.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I feed game bird feed. No constipation issues though.

4. cheekychick

cheekychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Waioneke NZ
    I am definately no expert, but would fresh greens help a constipated duck like it can help us humans? I always try to give my ducks fresh greens every day even though they have 500acres of grass to munch on [​IMG]

5. jazzyfizzle

Oct 12, 2009
    Northern Ohio
    Thank you so much for the advice. Any certain greens I should feed her? I am so relieved that it looks better, hopefuly the consitpation is improving. She is eating and drinking well from what I see.

thanks!!

6. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    My ducks devour watermelon and I have noticed their poo is quite watery afterwards. I just slice it and put it in their dish and they pick away at it.

7. cheekychick

cheekychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Waioneke NZ
  8. jazzyfizzle

Oct 12, 2009
    Northern Ohio
    Thank you to all my responders, I was worried sick. This little call duck was given to my son as a gift, to show next year in 4-H. I was so afraid I had done something and was going to lose her.

Thankfully today her posture looks back to normal. I searched around on the net and had found where someone had given lettuce, and I had that in the fridge, so I gave her a bit of the lettuce yesterday and again today. She sure seemed to enjoy it and thank heavens looks to be just fine.

I will have to try to find a different feed for her.

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by