What does a cuckoo silkie chick look like?

yellowflower

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Bradford NH
Does anyone have any pics of a cuckoo silkie chick right when it hatches? I have no idea what they look like as the ones I got were a few weeks old and you could see the barring on their feathers. And I have chicks hatching. Thanks

Oh, I wish I did. I had one hatch out last year and I can't remember if I noticed immediately or not if it was Cuckoo. I know the feathers were wet:rolleyes:

Good luck, I hope you get what you want!

Should have the usual light spot on the head, just like any other cuckoo
smile.png

When they are pure bred bigger spots on the boy´s heads (double dose of the barring gene) and a smaller spot for the girl´s (only one dose of barring gene).
When they are split they can´t be sexed by the size of the head spot.

I don't remember seeing a spot on the head on the two I hatched earlier this year. To me they looked like black or dark blue chicks at hatch, with the striped becoming evident later as they started to get primaries.

Sorry I don't have any pic of day olds, these are a few days old. If you look close you can see that these 2 have small light spots on head, these will probably be girls.
smile.png

7576_cuckooc.jpg

7576_cuckooc2.jpg

Swheat: Thankyou so much for the pics!! That really helps. I hatched out 4 blues and one black. Can't really tell if there is a white spot on the blues but the black doesn't have one. How soon can you tell when they start getting feathers? Do you sell hatching eggs by any chance?

Back
Top Bottom