1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What does a de-beaked chicken look like? (beak trimmed)?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fushalilly, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    That is the main reason I haven't tried to order any from a hatchery. I do not agree with the debeaking at all. Poor things.

2. echickenlove

echickenlove Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2008
    Bella Vista AR
    Wow..that looks as painful as clipping your nails down to the cuticle line...that has to hurt. Poor things. [​IMG]

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I agree with Pat. I also own 2 of the debeaked birds that I got as started pullets. I couldn't refuse them after I realized that's how they come. [​IMG] I also have a rescued hen that has a normal beak, so i consider all three of them as rescues. [​IMG]

4. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    i have 5 "debeaked" birds from Meyer, mine appear only to have the top trimmed and on all but one its the shortest amount. mine have no trouble eating and honestly they were the ones who pecked my roo's comb so bad it was bloody back on Sunday.

while i'm not 'for' it, i rather understand why the large hatcheries fell they have to do it on the started pullets.

at least if you take them, you'll know they are cared for, for then on out. that is how i look at my situation. these girls are well fed, warm, and get plenty of treats and will never end up in a battery cage.

5. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Ouch!! My nose hurts just thinking about it. Poor things, I never new they did such a thing! [​IMG]

6. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    So do the beaks not grow back? I mean, I know they grow...do they not regenerate after some time? If they do, what is the point to this? Unless the point is to tramatize the poor things and hope they don't want to do anything with the beak other than eating. Is this not cruelty to animals? I don't get it?

7. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    [​IMG]

this is exactly what they do at commercial cruelty farms.

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    They do not grow back. [​IMG]

9. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Quote:They will never grow back. It is cruel but they do it. I think for commercial farms.

Thank you pat for the correction. [​IMG] I am now even more sad than I was

10. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    The pictures really make me feel ill [​IMG] I remember, when I was first considering getting chickens, and talking with my father in law about them, he asked if they still did de-beaking, and if so, I should have it done. When he was young, they raised chickens for eggs, and had over 1000 hens at a time...I guess they used to do it, and he thought it would be a good idea to keep mine from pecking....I am so glad I didn't do it/have it done, even if it would have been available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by