what does a dead egg look like??

joe17

Songster
11 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Louisiana
I had shipped silkie eggs that were due to hatch a few days ago. I got three silkies from the eggs....... I just candled the other eggs in the bator and they still look very veiny and good. I will candle again soon and wanted to know when do I know they are all dead and wont hatch? As of now, I am leaving them in the bator! If they dont hatch in a week, can I pip for them to see if that may make them hatch?? ughh I wish more would hatch!!!!!!!!!

I have a brinsea so most of it is automatic. The temp is a constant 99.5 degrees and the humidity for the last three days is 65%-70%. 2 hatched on the correct date and one hatched a day late. My last hatch had the same settings and all the eggs hatched on day 21. The air sacs look good also. May I remind you they are shipped and I heard that most of the time the eggs wont hatch.....

Joe,

I had some shipped eggs that I paid lots of money for and I didn't see movement in them for most of last week so I thought they were dead but left them in the incubator anyway. Monday was hatch day and Monday morning all 7 of those eggs that went into lockdown hatched but unfortunately 4 died for some reason. I have 3 beautiful chicks out of them. They are really healthy.

If it is past time for your silkie eggs to hatch then maybe you should go ahead and pip them then you will know whether they are good or not. I am not a very patient person though so you have waited longer than I would have. If you feel you should wait longer then wait a few more days.

I am happy to hear that you got 3 chicks out of your eggs. That is much better than not having any of them hatch.

P.S. Out of my hatch from this past Saturday I only had one survivor but sadly by Sunday it was dead. A mouse got hold of my chick and punctured its neck with a deep gash.

Back
Top Bottom